This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Margot Fonteyn portrait

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#46 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

I saw it last night and can't believe I sat through the whole 2 and a half hours, and worst of all, bought the thing :toot: From the production point of view, it was put together so badly and had entirely too many talking heads.--and the use of music!---to emphasize a dramatic point the music became very loud. I was disappointed in the dance clips. When they showed the black and white clips of Sleeping Beauty on the first American tour they gave the impression these were the actual clips of that first performance--it wasn't--Robert Helpmann partnered her and it looked like Michael Somes in the clip.---and they are still playing that old Helpmann statement that during that appearance of the Rose Adagio she did not take the hand of the last prince---but, instead held a magnificent balance---it never happened--not at this performance. Instead of listening to Roland Petit's lack of gallantry it would have been nice if he could have come up with a clip of her in 'Demoiselle de la Nuit'. At the time, I subscribed to Richard Buckle magazine 'Ballet' and he had practically a whole issue dedicated to the ballet--and she looked at her most beguiling in the white cat costume.

In a word---it was tacky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):