This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Change in 06-07 season

sandik

It's actually a very pretty snow, at least where I am slightly south of the Loop.

Leigh, that sounds awful! I do hope you can get some rest in time to enjoy tonight's performance. And that the performances overall justify the journey.

I went to the matinée so I could catch both casts. Short version:

Completely worth the trip if only to see the Massine (the only other option I know of would be to see the Bolshoi do it in London this summer)

The rest of the program held its own. They did a very good job.

For New Yorkers - I'd catch the portions of the program they are doing on tour at either CW Post or SUNY Purchase. The tour program isn't as integrated (Apollo, Green Table, Deuce Coupe) but they happen to do all of them well. Worth catching a train or bus.

I've just returned home from Chicago & am still breathless about the Joffrey's amazing 'Les Presages,' seen at both yesterday's matinee & evening performances. This is one of those reconstructions that ranks right up there with the Kirov's 'Sleeping Beauty-1890,' particularly because , unlike the Bolshoi, the Joffrey retains the original 1933 designs by A. Masson. Spectacular! I have died & gone to heaven!!! More later...I must gather my thoughts.

I, too, was breathless. Les Presages was amazing! I went to Chicago just for this rep program, as it was recommended to be one of the top five shows to see this season by one of the dance magazines, either Dance or Pointe (I can't remember which magazine). I LOVED the whole show, but the Massine piece was my favorite. It literally brought chills to my body. I was amazed at the vibrancy and life that exuded from the dancers and the beautiful array of swirling colors. All of the dancers were of amazing technical proficiency. John Gluckman was brilliant in the role of fate. There was a stunning pas de deux which was passionately danced by the lovely Victoria Jaiani and her elegant partner Jonathan Dummar. They truly were a match made in heaven. The fourth movement which closed the piece was grand and exciting. The formation of a large diagonal by the ensemble, with repetitive port de bras, was particularly effective. Dummar, as the hero, was a princely figure with his commanding aesthetic. I would have to say that this is one of my favorite ballets I have ever seen!

.... still breathless about the Joffrey's amazing 'Les Presages,' ....More later...I must gather my thoughts.

I've finally collected my thoughts on the following link. 'Les Presages' was spectacular enough to deserve its own thread, IMO. Hopefully, others who have seen or will see this historic ballet will want to discuss it. There's lots to dissect and ponder.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=24234

My travel story sits somewhere in the middle -- longer than an hour getting out of the parking garage, but shorter than Leigh's travails.

I was thrilled with the program as a whole, and loved big parts of each of the works performed. I'm trying to write a full review, but my Cliff Notes version is the same as Leigh's -- absolutely worth the trip to see it!

That's the one I was stuck in, Cliff. It was gridlock in there. I heard various stories, most of which suggested that the gates weren't accepting exit cards and the attendants were not taking any initiative to solve the problem -- or maybe didn't know what to do.

I agree with you about the garage across the street, I NEVER go in there. Huge lines always while the attendants retrieve cars.