This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Change in 06-07 season

sandik

In another thread, I think it was Treefrog who reported

Also, I just received a mailing announcing a program change for next season, in response to the warm reception of this season's Cool Vibrations program. Instead of Founder's Gold (Fanfarita, Gamelan, Sea Shadow, Suite Saint Saëns), we'll get Light Rain , a compendium of short works with a pizazz factor (my words, not theirs). Included will be Light Rain, White Widow, a Pilobolus piece, Arpino's Valentine, and a couple of other short works.

I'm sorry to see the earlier works replaced on this program -- I thought part of the attraction of this anniversary season was seeing the company honor their roots. I've been thinking about coming to Chicago in February to see the Presages/Green Table/Cotillion program, but now i'm wondering if that's going to be changed as well.

There are regular members closer to the Joffrey who would know for certain, but they're advertising The Green Table on tour, to SUNY Purchase and possibly the Tilles Center?

I'd love to know if the Destiny's Dances program is touring - it would be easier to see it at SUNY than going to Chicago in February (I'll consider Cinderella in October instead!)

Chicago in February is not really my first choice, but it doesn't look like the company is coming anywhere on the West coast with this or any program, so I'm thinking long underwear.

I believe that we will be getting Apollo again instead of Cotillion, but that the rest of that program will be presented as originially scheduled. But I'll have to search out the notice to be certain.

Yes, February's "Destiny's Dances" now includes Les Présages, Apollo, and The Green Table.

I was both suspicious and encouraged when the Joffrey sent out the revised schedule -- being somewhat of a newcomer, should I be disappointed with the substitutions? I wondered what gems might be missed, while at the same time appreciating the Joffrey's willingness to think on its feet in order to appeal to its burgeoning Chicago audience.

I don't know Les Présages, but Apollo is one of the greatest ballets, and if you haven't seen The Green Table, it's certainly worth seeing for the first time.

And we're glad you posted, BAT! Please tell us a little bit about yourself in the Welcome Forum (by clicking the "New Topic" button in the upper right of the page.

Checking the calendar (and trying to avoid going to Chicago in February) the company is doing Presages/Deuce Coupe/Green Table at the Tilles Center on 3/9-10 and Deuce Coupe/Apollo/Green Table on the 11th at SUNY Purchase. I'm going to try for the Tilles dates to see the Massine.

I was flirting wildly with Chicago in February, in part because of Cotillion, but also for Presages and Green Table. One of the most valuable tasks the company performs is to maintain parts of the Ballet Russe rep, and though you can argue that Apollo is a part of that heritage, it's so much more available than Cotillion that I am a bit sad about this substitution.

Having said that, Apollo is one of the keystones of the ballet rep, and if you haven't seen it yet, hustle on out there and get a ticket.

Curse you, Joffrey Ballet!

The program at Tilles is now the same as SUNY - Apollo/Deuce Coupe/Green Table. Hello Chicago in February. . .

If you're contemplating the trip from New York, almost all the airlines are having a price war to Chicago. Continental Airlines flights on 2/16-19 price out at as low as $98.60 round trip WITH taxes.

Alea jacta est.

I bought my ticket for President's Day weekend.

The things I will do to see ballet.

See you there, Sandi? Will anyone else be around?

Unbelievable, Leigh. I'll be in Chicago that weekend, expressly to see this Joffrey program. Will definitely be looking out for you. ;)

Oh - did I mention that I'll be flying from NY to Chicago? I'm a Friday-night NYCB subscriber & had long-ago planned to see Raymonda Variations/Evenfall, etc. bill.

I'll be working until the age of 100 to pay-off these little cultural trips. :yucky:

It will be good to see you there - I think a few other people may be going to see this as well (attention SanderO - this is how people meet :blink: )

If it helps anyone, I thought my Priceline results might be useful. Because the weekend is President's Day weekend, prices weren't as low as winter in Chicago can be. I was bidding for February 16-19 and not getting anything at 4* for up to $70 a night, but got the 3* Club Quarters Central Loop for $68/night ($244 total for three nights with taxes/fees added on). $67/night failed so I think $68 is the lowest rate for those days at present (that can change either up or down).

I’ve stayed there before and I’m not displeased to get it again. It’s quite pleasant for a solo traveler. The rooms are on the small side, but were cleanly designed and not dreary, didn’t feel cramped, and come with a refrigerator as well as free wireless. There is also a fitness center in the building. The beds are double beds though, so that is a consideration if you’re not alone and need a larger bed. Also, the bathroom has a shower, not a tub. There’s no way the room could fit more than a couple. It’s about 5-10 blocks north of the theater.

If you need a larger room, I'd suggest only bidding 4* in the Loop - in the North of Michigan Avenue are you could get the Millennium Knickerbocker, an historic hotel which gives older, smaller rooms to Priceline bidders. Best to check either Bidding for Travel or Better Bidding for more advice.

Honestly, it's really hard to say. Some years, we get a snowfall and then it stays cold and the snow/ice hang around for weeks and weeks. Other years, we get almost no snow -- or we get a nice thaw that melts any accumulated snow. So far, it has been a pretty mild winter with one or two really nasty days (cold/windy) and one appreciable snowfall (which melted pretty quickly).

I think it is safe to say that we don't usually spend the winter blanketed in snow, and recurrent major snowfalls would be highly, highly unusual. Could we have a storm that weekend? Absolutely. But, it could also be 50 degrees. No use trying to predict now.

If you are staying downtown, the sidewalks tend to get cleaned and salted pretty quickly.

And of course, Leigh, I'll be happy to provide mittens and hats, and even scarves, for anyone who needs them.

Well, I guess at this point it's pretty safe to say it won't be 50 degrees. In fact, it will be pretty much the weather you were fearing/expecting. It doesn't look like we will get much more snow, but what we have won't melt either. Dress for cold weather (currently showing in the 20's F), and it's always safe to assume some wind chill. Streets and sidewalks should be thoroughly passable, but you might still want warm boots.

I always find the atmosphere of the magnificent Auditorium Theatre to be cheerfully warming. Caution: if you get coffee at intermission it will be blisteringly hot and you will only be able to sip a tiny bit before the lights flash.

Well, I guess at this point it's pretty safe to say it won't be 50 degrees. In fact, it will be pretty much the weather you were fearing/expecting. It doesn't look like we will get much more snow, but what we have won't melt either. Dress for cold weather (currently showing in the 20's F), and it's always safe to assume some wind chill. Streets and sidewalks should be thoroughly passable, but you might still want warm boots.

I always find the atmosphere of the magnificent Auditorium Theatre to be cheerfully warming. Caution: if you get coffee at intermission it will be blisteringly hot and you will only be able to sip a tiny bit before the lights flash.

Thank you so much for the update -- I'm not a cold weather girl, so I've been fretting about logistics.

I'm really looking forward to this!