This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

music "The little Humpbacked Horse" Caesar Puni

Hi, everyone!

I’m looking for the music for Pas de trois known as The Ocean and the Pearls.

Caesar Puni (composer) "The little Humpbacked Horse" (ballet ). Please, let me know about any links or anything where I can get this music!

Hi, everyone!

I’m looking for the music for Pas de trois known as The Ocean and the Pearls.

Caesar Puni (composer) "The little Humpbacked Horse" (ballet ). Please, let me know about any links or anything where I can get this music!

Unfortunately, as wtih most gems of the old Imperial Russian Repertory there is no recording in exsistance of this music, yet.......

If I was a millionaire I would fund the recording of all of the old ballets from the Imperial Days.......

You could try the DVD recording. It was a filmed version so the sound should have been stereo recorded. Not the best solution but maybe the only one.

I can't find anywhere even DVD. "The humpbacked horse" by Rodion Schedrin is everywhere but by Cesare Puni's is now antique.

I know that Universal Academy has this trio in their repertoire. But I don’t see any email address on their web.

Is this the "Frescoes" section, with four ladies (or 3?) ?

Because I obtained a copy of this music (from a friend) from Universal Ballet Academy. So, you could try to maybe call them since there is no email address listed...

Unfortunately, the music was on a audio tape and I am having trouble finding it at the moment.

Is this the "Frescoes" section, with four ladies (or 3?) ?

Because I obtained a copy of this music (from a friend) from Universal Ballet Academy. So, you could try to maybe call them since there is no email address listed...

Unfortunately, the music was on a audio tape and I am having trouble finding it at the moment.

I think she means the "Blue Sea Flower" and the 2 "Red Corals" (AKA THE Floer anmd the Pearl)....which is one number (the first number leads into the second). This is from the Underweater scene, as far as I can recall, the whole "Grand Pas d'Ensemble" consists of a scene, Entree, an allegretto, a variation for the Blue Sea Flower which leads into a little allegro for the 2 red corals (2 ballerinas in red), a variation for a male dancer called ocean (which by the way is an obvious 20th century interpolation both musically and choreographically), a variation for the white pearl, and a Grand coda. The absolutely GLORIOUS "Waltz of the Animated Frescoes" set to Maestro Cesare Pugni's fabulous music is for 4 woman (I love this part in the full ballet - Ivan gets a magic whip from the Humpbacked Horse. He snaps the whip and brings the 4 woman painted on the wall in the Khan's palace to life......of course they are perfect classical danseuses!).

The Frescoes is set up so that, primarily, 3 of the girls dance together, then each have little 16 bar or so movements where they dance alone. All 4 dont dance together til the end.

The variation for the white pearl, which also turns up in the "Paquita" Grand Pas Classique, is available in the recording of "La Bayadere" and "Paquita" the Sofia National Opera Orchestra conducted by Boris Spassov. This is the only part of Cesare Pugni's score for "The Little Humpbacked Horse" that has ever been recorded to date.

somewhat off topic, as i can give not clues to locating 'OCEAN AND PEARLS' on CD, but i can offer a VERY crude rundown of the selection titles in the piano score (for 4 hands) that i tried to 'translate' from the russian titling. i'm assuming what later became this 'OCEAN/PEARLS' number is from the 'grand balabile nerids' section:

[title page]

KONYEK GORBUNOK

ILI

TSAR-DVITSA

BOLSHEBNIE BALYET V CHETREKH DISTVIYAKH

APPANZHIROVANNIE

DLYA

FORTEPYANO V DVE PUKHI

MUZIKA

TSEZARYA PUNI

SOVSTVENNOST IZDATYELYA

S.PETERBURG, I O. STELLOVSKAGO

POSTAVSCHOI DVORA EGO IMPERATORSKAGO VELICHESTVA

V BOLSHOI MORSKOI, V DOM LAUFERTA NO. 27

all of which means mean, to the best of my knowledge:

HUMPBACKED HORSE, OR TSAR MAIDEN

GRAND BALLET IN FOUR ACTS

(unknown)

FORTEPIANA FOR TWO HANDS

MUSIC

CEZAR PUGNI

[the rest is the st. petersburg censors, i guess, and connection to

the grand imperial theater, the bolshoi (of st. pete).

no date, but the prettily lettered second page says: marfa nikolaevna

muravyeva, posvyaschayet, tsezar puni, which it to be a dedication by

pugni to muryaveva, who danced the premiere prod. in 1864

here's what i can make out in the score's printed notations:

Introduction p. 1

No. 2 - RUSSKIE BAZAR (RUSSIAN BAZAR) BOLSHOYA TSENA (GRAND SCENE) p. 3 -

No. 3 - RUSSKAYA PLYASKA I TREPAK (RUSSIAN ? AND TREPAK), p. 7 - 12.

No. 4 - FINAL Iie KARTINA Igo AKTA - (FINALE Ist Sc. 1st Act) p. 12 -

22 [there are intermediate, smaller titles which someday i'll try to

decipher)

No. 5 - ANTRAKT K 2ie KARTIN 1go AKTA (ENTR'ACTE, 2ND SC. IST ACT) p. 22

No. 6 - PALAT KIRGIZSKAGO KHANA (Palace of the Kirghiz Khan), p. 23 - 32.

No. 7 - TANTS ODUSHEVLENNIKH FRESK (Dance of the ? Frescos), p. 33 -

42. (a Panorama occurs on p. 39)

No. 8 - ANTRAKT K 2mu DVISTVIU (Entre'act ??), p. 43

No. 9 - POKHISCHEYENIE (FANTASTECHESKAYA KARTINA, PERLESTNII OSTROV)

???, p. 44 - 47 (p. 46 is marked TSENA I TANTS TSAR-DVITS' (Scene and

Dance of the Tsar-maiden).

Unnumbered: BOLSHOI BALABILE NEREID (grand balabile of nereids), p. 28 -

No. 10 - ANTRAKT K 3MU DVISTVIU (Entr'acte ???), p. 58 - 59

No. 11 - VOZVRASCHEYENIE V KANSKAIYA PALAT (? ? Khan' palace?), p. 60 -

No. 12 - RAZNOKHARAKTERNEIE TANETZ (? dance), p. 69 - 71.

No. 13 - MELANKHOLIYA-MAZURKA (Melancholy mazurka), p. 71 - 74.

No. 14 - CHESVERTOE DVISTVIE (? ?), p. 75 - 83.

No. 15 - PODVODNAYA VAKHANALIYA (? Bacchanalia), p. 84 - 90.

No. 16 - SEDMAY6A KARTINA 4-GO DVISTVAYA (? ?), P. 91 - 98.

No. 17 - MARSCH (March), p. 99 - 100.

No. 18 - LANLANDTSIE I VALAKHI (? ?), p. 101 - 103.

No. 19 - LATIESHI (?), p. 104 - 105.

No. 20 - POLYAKI (Polonaise?) (mid-page comes word: MAZURKA), p. 106 -

No. 21 - MINGRELTSIE (?), p. 109 comes PERSIYANYE (Persian?), p. 108 -

No. 22 - IMYERYETINTSIE (?), P. 111 - 112.

No. 23 - RUSSKIE (Russian), p. 113.

No. 24 - URALTIE (Urals?), p. 114 - 115.

No. 25 - MALOROSSIYANE (?), p. 116 - 117.

No. 26 - BOLSHOI PA (Grand Pas), p. 118 - 122.

No. 27 - FINAL (Finale), p. 123 - 124; APOFEOZ' (Apotheosis) final

five staves of page 124.

FINE.

Thank you so much RG for posting that. Its amazing how little of any of that survives in the production occasionally danced by the Vaganova School. How old is the manuscript you have, RG? I believe that in the 1890s Drigo added music to the ballet for Petipa's revivals? (the waltz/coda from the pas de neriads sounds alot like Drigo's waltz/coda from "Awakening fo Flora").

Heres a pic of Marfa Muravieva in the Saint-Leon/Minkus "Nemea" (AKA "Fiametta", AKA "The Flame of Love or the Salmander"), circa 1865?, which I scanned from Guest's "Letters from a Balletmaster". Not long after the premiere of "The Little Humpbacked Horse" she left the stage forever to marry. -

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/826/nem...ieva18649di.jpg