This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Jewels" DVD and PBS Great Performances broadcast

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

Arkiv Music lists it as NTSC Region 1 on their site. I suspect that some sites default to local region.

On this thread Dale mentioned that she purchased the DVD from amazon.co.uk and should receive the disc this week. We can ask her what the DVD package itself says.

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:15 AM

According to the delivery people, I should be receiving it today. I'll post tonight. I have a multi-system DVD, but I'll test it out. Before the multi-system, I used to play PAL DVDs on my computer. So, if there's something you're totally hot for -- the DVD players in computers play everything.

#18 bee2

bee2

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hello!
I also got my copy from amazon.co.uk. It's NTSC, ALL REGIONS.
Hope this clraifies things.

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

I just want everyone to know that amazon.com is still listing 20 June 2006 as the ship date and offers pre-ordering, but Arkiv Music, which also lists the same release date also lists the DVD as "In Stock," and (forgive me for I have sinned) I got a notice today that they shipped it. It's listed as part of their ballet DVD sale @$24.99, but there's no free shipping and handling, which is probably another $3.00 or so for first class mail. This could be a false alarm, although that's never happened before to me from this site, and when it's in my hands, I'll believe it fully.

http://www.arkivmusi...album_id=134458

This may be good news for everyone who's ordered through amazon.com. Who knows, they may get stock and ship early.

#20 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

(forgive me for I have sinned)

The Amazon link, which had finally reappeared up top is now gone again. Do you think they read your confession?

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

My Amazon link is there -- in clear black and orange -- and functioning contentedly.

I never have the problem of not making the free shipping minimum from Amazon. There's always something else I want!

#22 Phaedra392

Phaedra392

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

Thank you so much, Helene! I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and ordered from Arkiv Music. I'm so glad I won't have to wait so long. I never would have known without your post! :huh:

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

Joyaux/Jewels arrived today, courtesy of the USPS, having been shipped from Franklin, TN.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

I have very strong feelings upon my first viewing of this DVD, but I'd like to start by saying I think it's worth every penny, despite the reservations I have.

Highlights:

The decor by Christian Lacroix. I loved the projections in Emeralds and Rubies, and wanted another in Diamonds, but the horizontal diamond spines hanging high were quite beautiful. For me, the costumes in Emeralds and Diamonds were to die for, particularly the women's bodices. The little flouncy ruffled skirts in Rubies would have been fine, if the dancing didn't match them stylistically.

Pujol and Osta in Emeralds. Both very French and beautiful in these roles, particularly their arms and Osta's very beautiful feet.

Balarbi, Osta's partner, a very mature presence. There was nothing wrong with an older woman/younger man pairing, but I thought Ganio was too much Cherubino and too little Octavian. I would have switched Bart and Ganio, although that would have deprived Bart of his solos in Diamonds.

Thibault in the last two movements of Emeralds. In the pas de trois, he was a bit light, and I kept seeing Daniel Duell in my head, but he held his own beautifully at the end of the ballet, side-by-side with the principal men.

The corps women in Diamonds, including demis Ciaravola and Cozette, and the two others in the third movement quartet. Like the little "which hat is the ball under" that they show between innings at live baseball games, because of the camera cuts, I wasn't sure if I was loving one of the four or two, and wishing she had been cast as the tall girl in Rubies. These dancers got it -- the energy and scope of what was being asked for, while at the same time staying in harmony with each other.

Lowlights:

Rubies, although Carbone did manage to break out a bit during his solos. I loved Dupont in La Sylphide, but I think she was completely wrong for Rubies. Towards the beginning of the first pas de deux, where she turns on a bent knee, she places her weight so carefully, and is so square to the audience, that the sense of progressive movement is lost. When she does the backwards jockey steps, her back is straight up, as if she were in a tutu. When she is left balancing in passe, there's no surprise, because she's taken no risk in getting there. In the hip thrusts, her hips need oiling. Gillot danced similarly. My response, to quote Samantha Jones, was "No. No, no. No, no, no, no."

Letestu in Diamonds. The lead in Diamonds is not Odette. (pas de deux). The lead in Diamonds is not Aurora (first half of solo) or a principal in Etudes (end of solo). Letestu perked up a bit in the final movement, but the lead in Diamonds should not be put to shame by the contrasting energy of the corps, no matter how beautiful her placement is.

The credits. The credits for each ballet are given by rank, in alphabetical order, without regard to the roles or pairings. (The booklet breaks down the principals scene by scene, thank goodness.) Two of the four demi-soloists in Diamonds and the rest of the corps are not listed at all. The English translation of the credits could have included the full list of dancers; they didn't have to be limited to what was broadcast on French TV. Don't these dancers have a union? They were one of the production's crowning glories.

#25 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

Helene thanks for the review.
Whoa I totally got the casting wrong. When I first saw the cast, I was positive it was going to be:
Dupont - Emeralds
Osta/Gillot - Rubies
Letetsu - Diamonds

I guess I totally misjudged Parisian emploi.

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

I think Dupont would have been much better cast in Emeralds.

#27 Phaedra392

Phaedra392

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

Helene -- Thanks for the review. I'm wondering about the camera placement generally. Do you get to actually see the dancers properly? Is there a lot of cross-cutting, odd angles, fast edits, etc.? I'm hoping for the best.....

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

Helene -- Thanks for the review. I'm wondering about the camera placement generally. Do you get to actually see the dancers properly? Is there a lot of cross-cutting, odd angles, fast edits, etc.? I'm hoping for the best.....

I have to watch this again to answer your question properly. I think the corps of Emeralds got lost a bit to focus on the principals. I remember the solos and pas de deux being filmed very well, and I liked the way the corps was shot in Diamonds, particularly the opening movement.

#29 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:03 AM

My response, to quote Samantha Jones, was "No. No, no. No, no, no, no."

Ditto!

As expected they were most successful in 'Emeralds', although I wished for more subdued lighting.

#30 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:29 AM

Objections about casting set aside (and Helene is right to point them out, even if I still prefer the French filtering of Balanchine to many others), I find this in many ways quite an exemplary ballet DVD release. The performance itself is augmented by a 58 minutes documentary bonus, more rewarding than its title "George Balanchine Forever" might suggest at first sight. It has interviews with the Parisian soloists featuring in the performance (interesting in itself as it concerns a generation who knows Balanchine only from books and teaching), dance director Brigitte Lefèvre, Barbara Horgan, and designer Christian Lacroix.
There is also a 26-page booklet with photos and with solid liner notes (even if I wouldn't call Balanchine "son of a famous composer"). It even has all the names of the dancers appearing in the performance. OK, they are given in alphabetical order, étoiles mixed with premier danseurs, but hey, how many ballet DVD's have the whole corps de ballet listed?
I thought the filming better than on many other recent ballet DVD's. Surely, there is always something that gets lost in the multi-camera editing, but when there would be just one camera filming the whole stage people would complain they can't see the faces. What's more worrying however is the definition quality of the image, blurry in movements (it seems it was produced for TV?)
Yet as a document on the POB dancing Balanchine, in my view, a superb release that no ballet lover should miss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):