"Jewels" DVD and PBS Great Performances broadcast

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Phaedra392

Phaedra392

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

I just noticed that amazon.com lists a DVD of "Jewels" performed by the Paris Opera Ballet. (I knew the performance is going to be broadcast on PBS in the "spring of 2006," but I can't seem to find an air date.)

Anyway, the listing on amazon says that the DVD is scheduled for release on June 20, but it may be preordered. It also says that "this item may not be viewable on most DVD players sold in Region 1 (U.S. and Canada)." This warning makes me reluctant to preorder. Is it really possible that the DVD will not be compatible with U.S. players? Could they be that cruel?

#2 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

They could indeed. DVDs have various areas in which they are compatible and are coded as such. Be sure the DVD you order is viewable where you live. I don't know the areas/codes offhand.

Giannina

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

There are two issues with viewing DVD's: region and format.

The POB DVD that is listed on amazon.co.uk is a Region 2 DVD in PAL format, which covers Europe, the Middle East, and South Africa.

The short answer is to wait until the DVD is released in Region 1 (in NTSC format), unless you have a multi-region or region-free DVD player, and can play the PAL format. For the Royal Danish Ballet's recent La Sylphide release, the US/Canada version was available a month or two after the European (PAL/Region 2) release.

This site has the long answer.

Edited to add: I read the site incorrectly: this is a Region 0 DVD in PAL format. This means that it can be played in the US on PAL-compatible DVD-players and software, like the "DVD Player" that comes on MacIntosh computers.

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Very useful site, Helene. Thanks!

I understand the commercial reasons for different formats for different multi-nation regions, but some of this is Just Plain Mean :clapping: :

In region one discs intended for release in the United States are often not the same as those for Canada. The most infamous cases were with Pulp Fiction and Chasing Amy where the Canadian releases preceded the US release by a significant amount of time and the Canadian releases had a ton of extras while the US versions were fairly plain vanilla. The same can also hold true for region two where discs intended for Japan are often not the same as those released in the UK. So, when you buy a DVD you have to check the region code, the video format, the transfer specifics and the extras.

#5 Phaedra392

Phaedra392

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

A confusing new detail: the amazon site lists this DVD as being in NTSC format, which apparently means that it is compatible for U.S. DVD players. So why the warning? I guess I'll wait till there's more detail available......

#6 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

A confusing new detail: the amazon site lists this DVD as being in NTSC format, which apparently means that it is compatible for U.S. DVD players. So why the warning? I guess I'll wait till there's more detail available......

Phaedra392, I looked on Amazon (I want to see this too!) . It looks like a Japanese release so it is NTSC, which is compatable with North America but it is Region coded 2. US/Canada is Region 1. Now this is just a player issue, I have heard that it is very easy to modify a DVD player to remove the region coding restriction but wouldn't have an idea how to go about it.

Some players sold today have that chip removed that makes it region specific, but I wouldn't count on that either.

Best best is to wait a bit and see if there is a Region 1 release (the whole region thing seems so stupid to me but I don't make the rules)

Richard

#7 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

It is helpful to note this about this particular DVD -

It's being released by Opus Arte, which releases all of their DVDs in Region 0 NTSC format, so that they don't have to make multiple versions of their releases when they are being distributed worldwide. Various sellers around the world might list this differently, based on how they automatically assign information to their DVD selling pages based on the "form." But Opus Arte has all their DVDs in Region 0 (playable in any region worldwide) and NTSC format (which can be played on both NTSC and PAL televisions).

So you can order this DVD from wherever it is easier for you to order it.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:23 PM

It is helpful to note this about this particular DVD -

It's being released by Opus Arte, which releases all of their DVDs in Region 0 NTSC format, so that they don't have to make multiple versions of their releases when they are being distributed worldwide. Various sellers around the world might list this differently, based on how they automatically assign information to their DVD selling pages based on the "form." But Opus Arte has all their DVDs in Region 0 (playable in any region worldwide) and NTSC format (which can be played on both NTSC and PAL televisions).

So you can order this DVD from wherever it is easier for you to order it.

I corrected my post above: the amazon.co.uk version is Region 0 PAL, by Opus Arte. But I can't find this DVD on the US amazon.com site. I've searched under "Jewels" and "Paris Opera Ballet." And I'm coming up blank.

#9 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

Try "Jewels ballet", and click on "DVD" in the left column - it should be one of the 2 that come up.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

Thank you, art076!

Phaedra392: The reason for the warning isn't the format (NTSC), but the region. The site says "Region: Unknown." But as art076 has pointed out, "It's being released by Opus Arte, which releases all of their DVDs in Region 0 NTSC format," and Region 0 means non-restricted to any region. The PAL format version on the amazon.co.uk site is listed as Opus Arte, Region 0. You should be safe ordering the NTSC CD off the amazon.com (US) site, as many of us have.

#11 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:46 AM

Thanks, art076, and all of you, for your guidance here. It's in my Shopping Cart.

Whatever one thinks of the POB setting of a ballet, you can always SEE the dancing clearly. The background is there, but does not distract from the dancers' bodies. This is not always the case in ballet videos.

#12 Phaedra392

Phaedra392

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

Thanks, Helene! I've preordered, and I'm counting the days.

#13 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

Does anyone know when and if it's going to be shown on PBS? I assume it's going to be shown after the dvd becomes available ...

#14 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

It's still listed on the website.

#15 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

Opus Arte's site says, specifically for this DVD:
CATALOGUE NO: OA 0951 D
FORMAT: All Formats
REGIONS: All Regions
PICTURE FORMAT: 16:9

http://www.opusarte....s/catalogue.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):