This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am curious to know if anyone on this board, other than myself, attends and Regional Dance America Festivals. They are held annually with the United States being divided into regions such as Pacific, Mid-states, and so on... The Pacific region's festival (including California, Arizona, Utah, Washington) was held just last week. It was overall very successful. If there are any other members or question, please include yourself on this topic!

I participated as a dancer in the Mid-States region one year when I was dancing at Interlochen. The Mid-States region I hear from friends is much different than the Pacific. No contracts are ever awarded as a result of the performances done. The dancers just arent at that level. None the less, I think it was a wonderful thing to do. The kids still get the same benefits, meeting other dancers, taking classes from quality teachers, etc. When mature enough, It's a nice way for studio owners to meet their peers and share ideas as well.

RDA started a podcast this spring, I wrote a blurb about it in Onward and Upward

One thing, I never understood the difference between RDA in most of the country and SERBA in the south? Can anyone shed light on that. I think SERBA stands for South East Regional Ballet Association.

I am not sure how SERBA and RDA are different..or why the names are different, perhaps someone might be able to help us out on that.

The Pacific Region Festival seemed overall very organized. (some years there have been problems with busing everyone to all the different locations.) While the locations were a bit spread out (you couldn't really walk to them all) the busing system seemed to work out great becasue we were never left to just wait for more then a few minutes. The Emerging Performance was on Thursday night with Friday and Saturday night being the regular showcase nights.

I really can't report on the overall performances of the Emerging night becasue I didn't really get to see it. (I had a piece performed in it) But I can report the Utah had a very well choreographed and energetic emerging piece, in my opinion.

I also performed on Friday night, so I can't report too much about that night either. (we were second to last )

Saturday night's performance however, was very interesting with Utah closing with another energtic piece. They usually do well each year. Another company, which I can't remember the name, performed an interesting modern piece that was done without pointe shoes and choreographed by Diana Law.

The Gala dinner was also presented well. The adjudicator only chose six companies to recieve honor credit this year, which, I believe, a much smaller number than has become accustom in the past. (I can't complain though, becasue we were one of the six)