This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've just received word that Thomas Armour, my teacher, passed away peacefully in his sleep last night.

He taught me Le Spectre de la Rose and Prince Igor to name a few ballets.

I thank him most for lining the walls of his South Miami ballet studio with reproductions of Romantic Era Lithographs.

I hope Mel and Victoria will share their memories of Mr. Armour.

Thomas Armour put civic ballet on the map (see Encyclopaedia Brittanica, ser. 14) and was a major force in spreading the art over the landscape of America. He led a long and productive life, touching thousands of dancers and being a model teacher. I still begin about half my petit allegro combinations with demi-contretemps, just as he did (boy, did I get good at demi-contretemps!).

May he have eternal rest,

May light perpetual shine upon him.

Thomas Armour put civic ballet on the map (see Encyclopaedia Brittanica, ser. 14) and was a major force in spreading the art over the landscape of America. He led a long and productive life, touching thousands of dancers and being a model teacher. I still begin about half my petit allegro combinations with demi-contretemps, just as he did (boy, did I get good at demi-contretemps!).

May he have eternal rest,

May light perpetual shine upon him.

Mel, this is such a nice tribute. It's "Teacher Appreciation Week" at my son's school, so they've all been writing notes to teachers that they've enjoyed, and this made me think of that process.