• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:35 AM

I've just received word that Thomas Armour, my teacher, passed away peacefully in his sleep last night.
He taught me Le Spectre de la Rose and Prince Igor to name a few ballets.
I thank him most for lining the walls of his South Miami ballet studio with reproductions of Romantic Era Lithographs.
I hope Mel and Victoria will share their memories of Mr. Armour.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

Rest in Peace, Thomas Armour.

My condolences to you and his students and his family.

#3 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:20 AM

What very sad news of a true icon in American ballet. A gentle soul indeed has passed. Condolences to his family, friends and students.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:47 AM

Thomas Armour put civic ballet on the map (see Encyclopaedia Brittanica, ser. 14) and was a major force in spreading the art over the landscape of America. He led a long and productive life, touching thousands of dancers and being a model teacher. I still begin about half my petit allegro combinations with demi-contretemps, just as he did (boy, did I get good at demi-contretemps!).

May he have eternal rest,
May light perpetual shine upon him.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:54 AM

Obituary from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miami.com...al/14540865.htm

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

Thomas Armour put civic ballet on the map (see Encyclopaedia Brittanica, ser. 14) and was a major force in spreading the art over the landscape of America. He led a long and productive life, touching thousands of dancers and being a model teacher. I still begin about half my petit allegro combinations with demi-contretemps, just as he did (boy, did I get good at demi-contretemps!).

May he have eternal rest,
May light perpetual shine upon him.

Mel, this is such a nice tribute. It's "Teacher Appreciation Week" at my son's school, so they've all been writing notes to teachers that they've enjoyed, and this made me think of that process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):