This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A few more unidenitified photos

Heres these 2 photos, I was wondering if anyone could tell me who the dancers are, or what they are costumed for (I was thinking that perhaps the first photo was dancers costumed for "Sleeping Beauty" 1890, as it has the same background used in many of the "Sleeping Beauty" photos taken for the 1890 production. The second photo is maybe "Swan Lake"?) -

1. http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6420/idontknow2sw.jpg

2. http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/2295/idontknow23lj.jpg

1. according to a caption in Liubov Block's KLASSICHESKIE TANETS = CLASSICAL DANCE = this illustration shows evgenia pavlovna sokolova in TRILBY - presumably the title role.

2. i don't recognize this as directly related to early photos of SLEEPING BEAUTY, there were not originally singular, male cavaliers for the fairygodmothers.

#2 is Platon Karsavin, the father of Tamara Karsavina. Photo is indeed from the 'Sleeping Beauty' 1890 premiere. I don't recall the name of the woman and names of the characters but this photo comes from Karsavina's autobio, Theater Street, where you can see the full caption identifying both dancers. I am not at home, thus cannot pull the book at this moment.

A a matter of fact it is Karsavina's book that I scanned these potos from, I got it from the library, though obviously I forgot who was who.

Heres another photo - its Vasily Tikhomirov and Ekaterina Geltzer, circa 1910s I believe. I was wondering if anyone knows what ballet they are costumed for.

I got a kick out of Smakov's recollection of her in "The Great Russian Dancers", of when Geltzer was an old woman telling her colleagues in the wings, "help me get myself up on pointe, after that I know what to do".....GREAT!

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7229/vteg2jb.jpg

even though captions can be notoriously inaccurate i suppose one can count on the fact that t.p.karsavina was consulted for her own book and that she knew what her father looked like. (tho' too bad she wasn't pressed to identify the ballet(s) shown).

meanwhile the plot thickens.

according to wiley zhukova 1 (likely vera zhokova and shown in this photo from THEATER STREET) was the Fairy Violent in 1890, and probably thereafter.

also according to wiley, p.k. karsavin was one of two attendants to Violent. (the other was Voronkov 1).

all of the fariy godmothers had two attendants each, sometimes two men, sometimes two women, and in one case, that of Canarai, one man and one woman.

as the attached photo on the left shows, however, there were photos of the fairies with one of their attendants - as in this of kulichevskaya's Breadcrumb Fairy w/ iosef kshessinsky (felix's son and matilda's and iulia's brother).

the one the right of Zhukova, solo, is obviously earlier than the one in Theater Street, but it's hard to tell how many years later the one in karsavina's book was taken.

the geltzer/tikhomirov photocard is captioned but the lettering is too faint in this scan for my primitive skills with russian to decipher.

post-848-1146321355.jpg

after further scrutiny it would seem the geltzer/tikhomirov photocard shows the dancers in, depending upon individual english translations, a 1907 ballet of n.legat's:

legat himself lists this in his catalogue of works as THE PURPLE FLOWER.

beaumont gives it as THE BLOOD-RED FLOWER.

i've also seen ref. to this work as 'THE SCARLET FLOWER' and THE RED FLOWER.

(often there seems confusion with this lesser known work and the later better known RED POPPY tho' they are obviously quite different works.)

the leads in legat's ballet seem to have been a prince and one angelica, who may be the characters depicted here.

this is obviously the moscow staging of legat's maryinsky ballet, the st. petersburg cast included: preobrajenska, pavlova, tefilova, p. gerdt, and leontiev.

after further scrutiny it would seem the geltzer/tikhomirov photocard shows the dancers in, depending upon individual english translations, a 1907 ballet of n.legat's:

legat himself lists this in his catalogue of works as THE PURPLE FLOWER.

beaumont gives it as THE BLOOD-RED FLOWER.

i've also seen ref. to this work as 'THE SCARLET FLOWER' and THE RED FLOWER.

(often there seems confusion with this lesser known work and the later better known RED POPPY tho' they are obviously quite different works.)

the leads in legat's ballet seem to have been a prince and one angelica, who may be the characters depicted here.

this is obviously the moscow staging of legat's maryinsky ballet, the st. petersburg cast included: preobrajenska, pavlova, tefilova, p. gerdt, and leontiev.

The story is taken from an apparent re-working of a folk-tale by the historian poet Sergei Aksanov called, 'The Little Scarlet Flower'. Despite being a full length ballet, I have been unable to find much information about actual peformances. Staged by Legat in 1907 it was given at the Bolshoi in 1911 when it would appear that the photograph was taken.

the group foto linked above is likely the underwater scene from LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE, w/ i believe l. roslavleva at the center.

the 1900-01 IMPERIAL THEATER ANNUAL has a substantial spread in the moscow section on LHH, with photos mostly featuring roslavleva, so i think it's safe to assume the group photo shown here is from that time.

gorsky produced his version of st.leon's 1866 bolshoi prod. in nov. 1901, so perhaps these photos were made to document that new production, tho' it seems roslavleva also danced the moscow bolshoi's extant st.leon version as well.

adelina dzhuri seems to have been the first cast of gorsky's production in '01, but the yearbook features only one photo of her and a number of roslavleva.

meanwhile here's another photo of LHH probably from the same year.

post-848-1146414026.jpg