This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2006 Opening Night Gala

From metopera.org, under "Buy Tickets" for the Opening Night Gala:

Giselle Harvest Dance: Company

Other Dances: Julie Kent, Angel Corella

Piece D'Occasion: Stella Abrera, Gennadi Saveliev, Ruth Ann Swenson

Le Corsaire Suite: Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomes, Jose Manuel Carreno, Xiomara Reyes, Herman Cornejo

Apollo: Paloma Herrera, Carlos Acosta

Black Swan: Irina Dvorovenko, Maxim Beloserkovsky

Chaconne: Julio Bocca

Sylvia Act III PdD: Michele Wiles, David Hallberg

Sylvia Coda: Company

I don't know. I have happy memories of that DonQ Suite, not to be mistaken for a desire to see it again, at least for a while.

But I suspect this

Le Corsaire Suite:
Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomes, Jose Manuel Carreno, Xiomara Reyes, Herman Cornejo

may be its 2006 variant.

I don't know. I have happy memories of that DonQ Suite, not to be mistaken for a desire to see it again, at least for a while.

But I suspect this

Le Corsaire Suite:
Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomes, Jose Manuel Carreno, Xiomara Reyes, Herman Cornejo

may be its 2006 variant.

But maybe this years edition will be a bit shorter than the 2005 suite.

I guess Ferri is not making a trip in just for opening night.

Richard

From the company:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S OPENING NIGHT SPRING GALA

TO FEATURE SPECIAL PERFORMANCE OF

JOSÉ LIMÓN’S CHACONNE BY JULIO BOCCA,

MONDAY, MAY 22, 6:30 P.M. AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Special Guest Appearance by Ruth Ann Swenson Also Scheduled

A one-time-only performance of José Limón’s Chaconne by Principal Dancer Julio Bocca and a Pièce d’Occasion by acclaimed Metropolitan Opera soprano Ruth Ann Swenson will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night performance on Monday evening, May 22 at 6:30 P.M. at the Metropolitan Opera House. The evening will include ABT’s Principal Dancers and Soloists performing highlights from the Company’s 2006 Spring Season.

American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala performance will include a performance of Jerome Robbins’ Other Dances with Julie Kent and Angel Corella, an all-star suite from Le Corsaire performed by Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomes, Jose Manuel Carreño, Xiomara Reyes and Herman Cornejo, the solo and adagio from Act II of Manon performed by Diana Vishneva, the variation and pas de deux from Apollo with Paloma Herrera and Carlos Acosta, the pas de deux and coda from Act III of Swan Lake danced by Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky, and the pas de deux from Act III of Sylvia with Michele Wiles and David Hallberg.

ABT’s Spring Gala is sponsored by Friedman Billings Ramsey, Graff, Griffon Corporation, Tivia and Richard Kramer, Isaac Mizrahi and Waterford Wedgwood. Honorary Chairmen for The Spring Gala are President George W. Bush, Mrs. Laura Bush, Caroline Kennedy and Blaine Trump. Co-Chairmen for the evening include Isaac Mizrahi, Sloan Lindemann Barnett, Tory Burch, Susan Fales-Hill and Aileen Mehle. Underwriter Co-Chairmen include Maria and Henri Barguirdijan, Arlene and Harvey Blau, Betsy and James Kleeblatt and Tivia and Richard Kramer. Vice Chairmen are Alexandra Loeb Driscoll and Tara Rockefeller.

A Gala dinner under the Tent at Lincoln Center will immediately follow the performance. Gala benefit tickets priced at $1,500 and $2,000 include the performance and post-performance dinner. For Gala benefit ticket information only, call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239.

Performance-only tickets are priced $26-$135 and are available at the Metropolitan Opera House box office or by calling 212-362-6000. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org/> .

Thanks for the great news, Dale! In case anyone missed the fine print, the addition is:

...the solo and adagio from Act II of Manon performed by Diana Vishneva...

ABT's gala casting on their website has been updated to:

May-22

6:30 PM

Opening Night Gala

Giselle Harvest Dance

Company

Other Dances

J. Kent

A. Corella

Piece D'Occasion

S. Abrera

G. Saveliev

Le Corsaire Suite

G. Murphy

M. Gomes

J. Carreño

X. Reyes

H. Cornejo

Manon Act II solo and adagio

D. Vishneva :)

Apollo pas de deux

P. Herrera

C. Acosta

Swan Lake Act III pas de deux

I. Dvorovenko

M. Beloserkovsky

Chaconne

J. Bocca

Sylvia Act III pas de deux

M. Wiles

D. Hallberg

Sylvia Coda

Company

Thanks for the great news, Dale! In case anyone missed the fine print, the addition is:

...the solo and adagio from Act II of Manon performed by Diana Vishneva...

ABT's gala casting on their website has been updated to:

May-22

6:30 PM

Opening Night Gala

OK, looks good to me!

Richard

Piece D'Occasion: Stella Abrera, Gennadi Saveliev, Ruth Ann Swenson

For a twist,ABT may be out a singer rather than a dancer tomorrow night.

Swenson cancelled her appearance last night in the Vople farewell gala at the Met.

So lets see if she feels better tomorrow. I'm assuming she will sing Dinorah's Shadow Song since that's the tag that has been given to the piece

Richard

Unfortunately the Pollen-cast for Manhattan tomorrow is in the Red Zone, for Very High. I wonder if they'd dance to a recording, as this isn't exactly the easiest thing to sing. Maria Callas's recording?

Unfortunately the Pollen-cast for Manhattan tomorrow is in the Red Zone, for Very High. I wonder if they'd dance to a recording, as this isn't exactly the easiest thing to sing. Maria Callas's recording?

My suggestion would be for someone to persuade Natalie Dessay (I am sure she knows the "Dinorah" aria) who sang "La Sonnambula" at the Volpe Gala on Saturday to stay in town or fly back if she has left and save the day by replacing Swenson.