This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Plisetskaya in Swan Lake - 1970's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Does anyone recall a full-length performance of The Bolshoi's Swan Lake starring Plisetsksaya as Odette/Odile and Maris Liepa as Von Rothbart from the 1970's being broadcast on the A&E channel? Does anyone know if this is available on VHS or DVD? Thanks!

#2 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

the only 'complete' film i know of SWAN LAKE w/plisteskaya (opp. n. fadeyechev's prince) dates from 1957 and has v. levashev as rothbart.
i've not heard of another, and know of no footage of m. liepa as rothbart.
i have done a cursory check of a few ref. books - in russian and in english - none lists rothbart as a role of liepa's.

#3 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone recall a full-length performance of The Bolshoi's Swan Lake starring Plisetsksaya as Odette/Odile and Maris Liepa as Von Rothbart from the 1970's being broadcast on the A&E channel? Does anyone know if this is available on VHS or DVD? Thanks!

If I can let me ask a related question. Does anyone have info on the last year Plistetskaya danced the complete Swan Lake? I saw her in Montreal and NYC during the early-mid 70s but only in Act 2. But this may have been due to touring issues; she may still have been dancing the complete ballet in Moscow or even on other tours.

Thanks

Richard

#4 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

I love watching the 57 video.
Her pirouettes are hysterical.
They close up on her face and you see her feathers flapping up and down each spot of the head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):