This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Plisetskaya in Swan Lake - 1970's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Does anyone recall a full-length performance of The Bolshoi's Swan Lake starring Plisetsksaya as Odette/Odile and Maris Liepa as Von Rothbart from the 1970's being broadcast on the A&E channel? Does anyone know if this is available on VHS or DVD? Thanks!

#2 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

the only 'complete' film i know of SWAN LAKE w/plisteskaya (opp. n. fadeyechev's prince) dates from 1957 and has v. levashev as rothbart.
i've not heard of another, and know of no footage of m. liepa as rothbart.
i have done a cursory check of a few ref. books - in russian and in english - none lists rothbart as a role of liepa's.

#3 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone recall a full-length performance of The Bolshoi's Swan Lake starring Plisetsksaya as Odette/Odile and Maris Liepa as Von Rothbart from the 1970's being broadcast on the A&E channel? Does anyone know if this is available on VHS or DVD? Thanks!

If I can let me ask a related question. Does anyone have info on the last year Plistetskaya danced the complete Swan Lake? I saw her in Montreal and NYC during the early-mid 70s but only in Act 2. But this may have been due to touring issues; she may still have been dancing the complete ballet in Moscow or even on other tours.

Thanks

Richard

#4 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

I love watching the 57 video.
Her pirouettes are hysterical.
They close up on her face and you see her feathers flapping up and down each spot of the head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):