This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The same link will take you to a new trailer in which Peter Martins offers a glowing appreciation of Jock's talent and career. Lots of little snatches of Jock dancing -- a step here, a finish there, a lift, but all as quick cuts. I hope the completed film is more generous -- and gives us whole phrases as danced to the music to which they were designed. :off topic:

There are still no dates on the Screening page.

I could do without Peter Martins calling Soto "exotic." Please! That's a word people in the 1940s might have used to describe Dorothy Lamour in Aloma of the South Seas (1941). I suppose in the lilly white ballet world, unfortunately, it makes sense. Like carbro, I'm eager to see more, as I'm not sure what the film's foucs will be--the mournful, elegiac Arvo Part music (Frates?) connotes that the film will be a somber affair, mourning the end of a career instead of celebrating it. And the shots of Arizona combined with that ritualistic music seem to affirm Jock as a force of nature rather than the hardworking dancer we know him to be. I hope, in other words, that there's less of this easy new-agey essentialism and more focus on his labor. I mean, for all his talents, Soto probably had to work very hard to overcome his less-than-ideal body (by ballet standards)--which, though, to SAB and NYCB's credit, never seemed to hinder his progress. A fascinating and unique career path, to be sure! He also did much, with Heather Watts, for HIV/AIDS issues quite early on in a field which has often been slow to act on "real world" issues. I hope the documentary will cover this as well as, to quote carbro, "[give] us whole phrases as danced to the music to which they were designed"