This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Documentary on Jock Soto"Water Flowing Together"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

As dirac posted last August, , a film documentary on Jock Soto has been in the works.

No release date or venues yet, but a trailer is now available online: http://www.waterflowingtogether.com/.

Something to look forward to!

#2 dancefreak929292

dancefreak929292

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:58 PM

Yes!! i'm excited!! ! Thank you!

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

The same link will take you to a new trailer in which Peter Martins offers a glowing appreciation of Jock's talent and career. Lots of little snatches of Jock dancing -- a step here, a finish there, a lift, but all as quick cuts. I hope the completed film is more generous -- and gives us whole phrases as danced to the music to which they were designed. :off topic:

There are still no dates on the Screening page.

#4 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:18 AM

I could do without Peter Martins calling Soto "exotic." Please! That's a word people in the 1940s might have used to describe Dorothy Lamour in Aloma of the South Seas (1941). I suppose in the lilly white ballet world, unfortunately, it makes sense. Like carbro, I'm eager to see more, as I'm not sure what the film's foucs will be--the mournful, elegiac Arvo Part music (Frates?) connotes that the film will be a somber affair, mourning the end of a career instead of celebrating it. And the shots of Arizona combined with that ritualistic music seem to affirm Jock as a force of nature rather than the hardworking dancer we know him to be. I hope, in other words, that there's less of this easy new-agey essentialism and more focus on his labor. I mean, for all his talents, Soto probably had to work very hard to overcome his less-than-ideal body (by ballet standards)--which, though, to SAB and NYCB's credit, never seemed to hinder his progress. A fascinating and unique career path, to be sure! He also did much, with Heather Watts, for HIV/AIDS issues quite early on in a field which has often been slow to act on "real world" issues. I hope the documentary will cover this as well as, to quote carbro, "[give] us whole phrases as danced to the music to which they were designed"

#5 HollyFusco

HollyFusco

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

It seems rather promising! I'm exited. I wish there were a definite date though :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):