This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

May 2006 Castings (exciting news!)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

So, is it safe to say that you are giving her two thumbs up?
Is this based on video-watching or live experience?

Both.

My view is different, based on her 2003 Carmen pdd at the Mariinsky Festival. She offered all you described, but without a trace of the wit and wry humor, I for one, associate with the Carmens of earlier interpreters. Vishneva gave us a 'hot' number.

Petit's choreography, created in mid-20th c. seemed to be a commentary on femme fatale 'numbers', a refreshing innovation in ballet at the time.
For me, Ms Vishneva's Carmen was devolution of the choreography.

I've seen Carmen several times, both live and on videotape, and Vishneva and Ferri's were by far the best. They were, as I said, sultry and sexy and playful.
Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre gave us grand tragedy. It was riveting, but it wasn't Carmen.
And let's not talk about Natalia Makarova ... (as a huge fan of Makarova too)
Don't get me wrong. I think there are some thing Vishneva does not excel in. For instance, although I enjoyed her Rubies immensely I could see why Balanchine stylists might find her port-te-bras objectionable. I am not saying Vishneva is perfect in everything she does. But I do think it is immensely unfair to say she's just good in Forsythe and Balanchine, because of Vishneva's prodigious talents in classical ballet. She is so much more than "In the Middle Somewhere Elevated" and "Rubies."

#32 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, your weekly cast-change update!

May 5 - Ondine - Leonid Sarafanov replaces Vladimir Schklyarov as Matteo. This was to have been Schklyarov's debut in the role. Thus, Sarafanov remains the only man to perform the role of Matteo in this version of the ballet. Schklyarov is still listed to dance the Chemyakin 'Nutcracker' on May 27; hopefully he will be OK and not suffering from recent back troubles.

No other changes...for the moment.

#33 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

Parenthetically - Ruzimatov did not dance; it was Dmitri Semionov. I've wanted to see him since Andrei mentioned him several years ago, and Andrei was quite right about his gifts. Perfect proportions, lofty jump. I'm not upset at all to have seen him. Tereshkina did dance as well - she was at her best in the Kingdom of the Shades, and her best is quite respectable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):