This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet 2006-07 Season

The Colorado Ballet's 2006-07 season, according to their electronic newsletter:

Giselle - Sep. 29 to Oct. 15

Dracula - Oct 19 to Oct. 22

The Nutcracker - Nov. 25 to Dec. 24

Where the Wild Things Are - Feb. 23 to Mar. 10

Dance Creations (new works by Jessica Lang and Darrel Moultrie) - Mar. 17 to Mar. 25

Hi You!

It's going to be interesting to see what Gil Boggs puts in for the third piece in Dance Creations - they just have the two choreographers right now, and it's a triple bill... so we'll see. It's going to be one not to miss with Darrell and Jessica though! :wub:

Golden Gate

Pardon me for my total lack of enthusiam.

Giselle: was last performed by Colorado Ballet a few years ago, 2001 (?). As a classic it deserves periodic revival.

Dracula: has become an every - year money maker. I've seen it twice and that's enough

Nutcracker: same story

Where the Wild Things Are: a kiddy story last done 2 years ago. Once was more than enough

When they come calling asking me to renew my season tickets my response will be, "been there, done that, got the T-shirt."

Following last year's firing of Martin Fredmann, this is still a company in crisis and I hope they weather the storm. I'd rather they survive to provide live ballet to Colorado's dance patrons, but I can't find it in my heart to support a program of all reruns - all the time. I am hopeful this season is just retrenching while they find a new artistic direction.

The Colorado Ballet's 2006-07 season, according to their electronic newsletter:

Giselle - Sep. 29 to Oct. 15

Dracula - Oct 19 to Oct. 22

The Nutcracker - Nov. 25 to Dec. 24

Where the Wild Things Are - Feb. 23 to Mar. 10

Dance Creations (new works by Jessica Lang and Darrel Moultrie) - Mar. 17 to Mar. 25

The program for Dracula contained a couple of updates about the CB's schedule (in Gil Bogg's "letter"):

1) There will be a second, short work paired with Where the Wild Things Are titled Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1.

2) The third work in the Dance Creations program will be a piece titled Celts, choreographed by Lila York.

This just in from the company:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 29, 2007

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE and BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO

TO KICK OFF COLORADO BALLET SPRING PROGRAMMING

DENVER- Colorado Ballet begins its winter/spring season on a diverse note with two variations of ballet in one production. BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO, a neo-classical ballet, will open for the much-anticipated, more contemporary WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE on February 23, for 13 double-cast performances.

Colorado Ballet last performed the ballet version of Maurice Sendak’s book WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE in 2002, and Artistic Director Gil Boggs says the company is ready to journey with Max and the monsters again.

“Children’s ballets are lacking in the world of dance,” he noted, “We all grew up with this story and it’s great to see it brought to life on our stage. The dancers are excited to do it because children love it so much and audiences tend to be enthusiastic.”

Famed choreographer and Washington Ballet Artistic Director Septime Webre will arrive to rehearse the company next Monday and Maurice Sendak’s whimsical sets and costumes will return to lend further animation to the production.

Originally choreographed for American Ballet Theatre, the 25-minute BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO premiered in 1987, while Boggs was a dancer with that company. Although he never performed it, Boggs remained impressed by both the score and the choreography.

“It is a beautiful piece of work,” he said, “And a rarity these days. You just don’t see good neo-classical ballets choreographed much anymore.”

The work is set to Bruch Violin Concerto No.1, a composition by Max Bruch, a 19th century composer and conductor after which it is also named.

The ballet was choreographed by Clark Tippet, a former dancer with ABT. In the style of neo-classicism, it does not contain a cohesive plot-line. Instead, Boggs says the music matches the mood, costume color and steps of the four principal couples. The 12 corps dancers provide one uniform color to offset the others.

“What you look for in these ballets is how well dancers move around each other,” explains Boggs, “I was led to choose this particular ballet mostly because WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE is a children’s contemporary piece. I want to give children in the audience a breadth of exposure and I think we do that nicely with these two ballets.”

BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO and WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE runs February 23 through March 10;

February 23: 7:30 p.m.

February 24: 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

February 25: 2 p.m.

March 2: 7:30 p.m.

March 3: 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

March 4: 1 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

March 7: 6:30 p.m.

March 9: 7:30 p.m.

March 10: 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are $27-$143.

For tickets and information, please call 303-837-8888 or visit www.coloradoballet.org .

DENVER- Colorado Ballet begins its winter/spring season on a diverse note with two variations of ballet in one production. BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO, a neo-classical ballet, will open for the much-anticipated, more contemporary WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE on February 23, for 13 double-cast performances.

I wouldn't have guessed that Where the Wild Things Are would be "much anticipated". I'll probably end up going, but I'm having trouble working up enthusiasm for paying lots of money to see this program.

I wouldn't have guessed that Where the Wild Things Are would be "much anticipated". I'll probably end up going, but I'm having trouble working up enthusiasm for paying lots of money to see this program.

I went, I saw, and I enjoyed it far more than I expected. While Where the Wild Things Are might be based on a kids' story, I didn't think that it was strictly a children's ballet. Certainly the music was not written for children.

I must look like I'm impoverished. They keep offering me half-price on tickets.

I went, I saw, and I enjoyed it far more than I expected....Where the Wild Things Are...

Maybe they're planning to continue with Mr. Sendak's Outside Over There, and are extending a courtesy to a presumed relative... (sorry, it's late)

This just in from the company:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 7, 2007

DANCE CREATIONS TO CLOSE 2006-2007 COLORADO BALLET SEASON

DENVER- Colorado Ballet concludes the 2006-2007 season with DANCE CREATIONS; a collection of dynamic, contemporary dance productions which will include two world premieres and one Denver premiere, March 17-25 at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House.

Taking advantage of the lucky opening date of March 17, St. Patrick’s Day, Colorado Ballet presents choreographer Lila York’s CELTS, a Denver premiere. The Irish-themed ballet is set to a variety of traditional Irish folk music and is based upon step-dancing, sure to rouse the Irish spirit in everyone!

Following her success with Denver audiences and critics last season with FROM FOREIGN LANDS AND PEOPLE, Jessica Lang returns with DE PROFUNDIS, a world premiere set the music of composer Arro Pärt.

Darrell Grand Moultire, whose work VITAL SENSATIONS met with critical acclaim in the 2004-2005 season, will also return with a world premiere, SECOND EXPOSURE, with original music composition by Ricardo Romaniero.

“When a dancer enters this profession, they dream of performing in a series like this,” said Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Gil Boggs, “Three different styles of dance on one program really challenges the company’s artistic abilities and lets them explore new avenues of movement.”

Boggs says that audiences will have their imaginations challenged as well.

“Even though there aren’t cohesive storylines, viewing each of these pieces is like looking at a painting. Every perspective will be different,” he said.

DANCE CREATIONS runs March 17 through March 25, with special appearances by Celtic Colorado bagpipers in the lobby and loge as guests arrive before the start of each performance. In celebration of the St. Patrick’s Day, the lobby bars will also have green refreshments available on March 17!

DANCE CREATIONS performance schedule:

March 17: 7:30 p.m.

March 18: 2 p.m.

March 21: 6:30 p.m.

March 23: 7:30 p.m.

March 24: 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

March 25: 2:00 p.m.

Tickets are $27-$143.

*Reserve your seats for next season! Renewals for current subscribers are on sale now for Colorado Ballet’s 2007-2008 season, which includes LE CORSAIRE, DRACULA, THE NUTCRACKER, COPPÉLIA, THE REPERTORY SERIES and a special co-presentation with Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble of the ALVIN AILEY DANCE THEATER 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR . New subscriptions go on sale April 2 and single tickets will be available July 16.

For more information, please call 303-837-8888 or visit www.coloradoballet.org.

Colorado Ballet

1278 Lincoln Street

Denver, CO 80203

Tickets: 303/837-8888, extension 2

www.coloradoballet.com

Following her success with Denver audiences and critics last season with FROM FOREIGN LANDS AND PEOPLE, Jessica Lang returns with DE PROFUNDIS, a world premiere set the music of composer Arro Pärt.

This piece is much-anticipated by me. I've liked everything by Arvo Part that I've heard, and I really enjoyed From Foreign Lands and People last year.

I went, I saw, and I enjoyed it far more than I expected....Where the Wild Things Are...

Maybe they're planning to continue with Mr. Sendak's Outside Over There, and are extending a courtesy to a presumed relative... (sorry, it's late)

They charged me full price tonight. Must have been the Pierre Cardin tie. It would have been worth the money just to see the Jessica Lang piece.