This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Choreographer of Arena Ballet's "Talisman"

Because of the Italian connection, this seems to refer to Paul Chalmer, who staged Sleeping Beauty for the Rome Opera Ballet in 2002. In an on-line review of that production, he is refered to as a "former dancer" (English National Ballet). On the alumni page of the National School of Ballet (Canada), he's described as the Artistic Director of the Liepsiger Balletts.

fracci was indeed featured in this staging, perhaps in '96, which likely bore very little relationship (other than the libretto) to petipa's ballet, or to legat's post-petipa version, for that matter.

most probably the whole of this 1990s ballet was tailored around fracci, who danced opposite alessandro molin in one perf. i know of.

Just to add a bit to RG's intelligence on this production -

Talisman - chor. Paul Chalmer, music Riccardo Drigo

Presentation of Arena Ballet Company in Padua, Italy

March 16, 1997 (and possibly other performances)

Niriti (a goddess) - Carla Fracci

Nouredin (principal male role - a warrior, in love with Niriti) - Stephane Fournial

Vayou (God of the Winds, who accompanies Niriti to earth) - Alessandro Molin

Amravati - Ileana Citaristi

Damayanti - Simona Mangani

The ballet also featured an Eastern Indian Folk-Dance ensemble, if one can imagine the ankle-bells, finger-cymbals & drums playing concurrently with Drigo's traditional European-ballet tunes!

Chalmer seems to be a 'young Lacotte' of sorts, having also staged/"revived" La Fille du Danube and La Gitana for Arena Ballet. I'm not sure if he has continued the Lacottish trend since taking over Leigzig Ballet in spring 2005. The Leipzig troupe, like most German companies outside Berlin or Stuttgart, focuses on contemporary ballet & is not likely to sponsor antique reconstructions...but one never knows.

The ballet also featured an Eastern Indian Folk-Dance ensemble, if one can imagine the ankle-bells, finger-cymbals & drums playing concurrently with Drigo's traditional European-ballet tunes!

Ever see La Meri's staging of Act II Swan Lake in Bharata Natyam style? It was a hoot, and only lost a little bit of currency for having been (loosely) based on the Denham Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo production.

Ever see La Meri's staging of Act II Swan Lake in Bharata Natyam style? It was a hoot, and only lost a little bit of currency for having been (loosely) based on the Denham Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo production.

I haven't seen it but I would love to see it. Does some group have a tape they rent out?