Etudes!

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:57 AM

Sleeping Beauty-1890 by the Kirov: The lowering of the garlands from the ceiling...the raising of the final back-tableau curtain, revealing the forces of good chasing away the forces of evil...the courtiers and main characters frozen in their final poses, up front. The final chords of Tchaikovsky's booming majestic sound. That's it - that's 'ballet'!

#18 GoCoyote!

GoCoyote!

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:10 AM

MacMillan's Song of the Earth - together with Mahler's music of course! - a very simple and 'grounded' ending scene which is at the same time beautifully ethereal.

#19 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:30 AM

For emotional impact, nothing like Giselle, with Albrecht standing or kneeling, with only the flower petals to remind him of his night. In fact, from the time the bell rings to the end of the ballet, I think those are the most heartbreaking moments in all of classical ballet. A great Giselle will really make it unforgettable. I think my favorite is Alicia Alonso: before descending into her grave, she does a beautiful penchee and allows Albrecht to kiss her hand for the last time. I get chills. I also love the pictures of Fonteyn and Nureyev, where she has her arms around him in a tight hug, eyes closed, as if she literally wanted to hold him forever. Natalia Makarova also did it beautifully -- the way she boureed in circles around Albrecht, each circle being farther away, and finally descended into her grave. And then there's Alina Cojocaru -- she gently lifts Albrecht's arm, as if to say, "You're alive." It's so heartbreaking yet life affirming.

For geometric spectacle, I love Symphony in C. I also love Vienna Waltzes, with the swirling gowns. And I love Who Cares?, with everyone dancing happily onstage. I love how Balanchine doesn't make everyone dance uniformly -- he makes it kind of like a real dance party, with everyone just doing their own happy dance. Puts a huge smile on my face. And call me cheesy, but I love Balanchine's Nutcracker, when Marie and the Prince are lifted into their little snowsled and leave the Kingdom of the Sweets.

The Two Pigeons is also incredibly lovely -- the second pigeon flies into the garret, as a symbol of the lovers reconciling.

#20 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:53 AM

Sleeping Beauty-1890 by the Kirov: The lowering of the garlands from the ceiling...the raising of the final back-tableau curtain, revealing the forces of good chasing away the forces of evil...the courtiers and main characters frozen in their final poses, up front. The final chords of Tchaikovsky's booming majestic sound. That's it - that's 'ballet'!

Yes. I was thinking of this too, this morning before I left for work. I have a postcard of this last scene on my fridge. The clouds, the garlands, all the characters posed, and the Lilac Fairy rising up in the middle of it all.

Somebody here said that it was interesting that some of the ballets with the best openings also had the best closing moments. Many of the ballets we've mentioned are by Balanchine, which probably reflects the ballets we (on the board) see most often, but also must reflect that he knew how important these opening and closing moments are. Midsummer also has a beautiful close -- with Puck floating in the sky.

#21 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

Okay, I must be vulnerable to descending set pieces... the flag lowering in Stars & Stripes is pretty spectacular too.... (alright, I'll start thinking about "choreographic" final images).

#22 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

For a chilling ending, La Sylphide - Madge standing over James' body in ambivalent triumph as the curtain lowers silently.

#23 katrinafsmith

katrinafsmith

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

I think I'd have to go for the closing tableau of Les Noces, with all the heads resting on top of one another. It's just such a powerful and distinctive image.

Katrina

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Katrina! We're glad you decided to join our discussions.

Please feel free to introduce yourself on our Welcome Forum by clicking the "New Topic" button in the upper right part of the site.

#25 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

I love the end of the Firebird, with the Prince and the whole city advancing en masse to that unbelievably thrilling music.

Similarly, at the end of the Hard Nut, when the Nutcracker prince advances towards Clara/Marie with the whole world coming in behind him like what he has to offer her..... so romantic, so beautiful, so rich.

Generally speaking, Mark Morris ends ballets wonderfully -- "Dido" has a magnificent ending, when the two last women sit at opposite ends of the bench facing away from each other, like statues on a monument, grieving. l'Allegro ends wonderfully with all those people rushing downstage like a cascade of joy. And Sylvia has a wonderful finale tableau, with the 2 gods (Cupid and Diana) upstage holding their bows and facing each other, like a pair of gates center-stage, and the lovers downstage hand-in-hand holding the arrrow of Cupid aloft.

Has anybody mentioned "Les Sylphides"? Like Pas de Quatre, it ends with the tableau with which it began, ready to start again.... both beautiful. Speaking of Pas de Quatre, I love the way the Trocks do the final tableau -- unwinding it and doing it again over and over. It's not just funny (which it is), it's quite miraculous....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):