This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What celebrities would you think would make a good dancer.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 tarabera2345

tarabera2345

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 03:03 PM

Definetaly Helen Hunt. Now that would be ariaote

#17 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 04:15 PM

Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails would make a great Von Rothbart.

And I'd like to see Steven Tyler from Aerosmith be an ugly stepsister in Cinderella.

#18 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 02:03 AM

Well, if we're going for character roles, let me nominate the following:

Robin Williams--the subservient stepsister in Ashton's Cinderella, Widow Simone in Fille, or as the ubiquitous Jester in any ballet

Marilyn Manson--Carabosse especially, but would also make a good Rothbart or Madge

Maggie Smith--Nurse in R&J and Berthe in Giselle

The Olsen Twins as Kitri's 2 identically dressed friends would be cute, although those technically aren't character roles

#19 tarabera2345

tarabera2345

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2001 - 03:47 PM

I definetly think the Olsen Twins and Robin Williams although I am not sure how DANTY Mariln Manson is. I dont how well she would be as a ballerina. Although that just is my opinion.

~!~!~! :)

#20 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 June 2001 - 07:22 PM

Not Marilyn Monroe - Marilyn Manson the crossdressing rock singer.

Though Marilyn Monroe might have made an interesting Queen in any ballet that has one.

#21 Dance Fan

Dance Fan

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2001 - 01:48 AM

According to an item in the Chicago Sun-Times, Neve Campbell has been working with the Joffrey because she is developing a film with a dance angle. Think of the possibilities - "Scream" meets "Save the Last Dance"! Miss Campbell spent years studying at the National Ballet of Canada's school and I've seen her dance a little. She's quite good.
By the way, Christopher Walken began his career dancing on Broadway. He's brilliant in the little-known film "Pennies from Heaven". Wouldn't he make a fabulous Rothbart, or a fabulously scary Drosselmeyer?

#22 Autumn7

Autumn7

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 June 2001 - 09:36 AM

Let's add Mick Jagger as Steven Tyler's sister in 'Cinderella' and while we are on character roles, I'd like to have seen Joe DiMagio as Don Q and Yogi Berra as his faithful servant Sancho.

#23 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 04:10 AM

Dance Fan, you bring back happy memories. Walken's strip in "Pennies from Heaven" is totally awesome. I think he's a little too strange for Drosselmeier, though. Maybe Madge?

#24 Guest_DaNzMaNiAc123_*

Guest_DaNzMaNiAc123_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 June 2001 - 09:42 AM

Didnt britney spears have some dance training? I would give nething to see britney spears in a tutu! Can you see that?

#25 tarabera2345

tarabera2345

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 03:55 PM

I believe that as a child Britney Spears did have some training I would not be suprised if she once was in a tutu. Why would not she be in one.She might be pretty good. :confused:

#26 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 05:41 PM

One imagines that most female celebrities had some dance training as a child. With the exception of Suzuki instrument training it seems to be the only type of performance work that a young child can do.

Serious singing training doesn't start until quite late and I can't imagine a drama class for pre-teens: "All right class, today we will begin with Desdemona's death scene from Act IV of Othello".

So any female singer or actor who had talent, loved to perform and showed it when quite young would be in ballet class. Some like Natalie Dessay, Sarah Jessica Parker and Charlize Theron studied for years while others were working professionally in the theater or movies before they could get into serious work.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Ed Waffle ]

#27 Basilio17

Basilio17

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 10:52 PM

I think Jennifer Anniston from Friends would be a great Auroura. Julia Roberts would be great in the Agon pas with those long legs. :) :)

#28 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 01:47 AM

I think there is quite a bit of pre-teen drama training -- I have first hand experience with different types of children's drama classes aimed at children as young as nine. Some were really just improvisation exercises but others involved performances of melodramas written for children, adaptations of children's books, religious subjects, even some scenes from "serious" adult drama, etc. I think this is pretty typical, and would be very surprised if some children didn't "study" earlier than nine.

What I experienced didn't involved classical drama (except what I did on my own with friends), but there are decidedly more ambitious attempts at training child actors as well. According to an (unofficial) biography, at the age of 11 Alan Rickman was playing Volumnia in Shakespeare's Coriolanus for a school production. Many professional actors date their first experiences on the stage, professional or amateur, quite early.

At various times in history, child actors in serious drama were rather a vogue -- in London during in 1804 you could see an extremely popular thirteen year old actor (Master Betty) play Hamlet. I'm just noting this, not advocating...

LMCtech: Trent Reznor as Rothbart? I think he would make a good Siegfried. I say this in the spirit of the thread only of course; though an interesting mime in his videos, he's not exactly a classical ballet dancer. Anyway, he does have a certain romantic/erotic obsessiveness, so perhaps he'd fit one of those souped-up contemporary productions in which Siegfried is an ultra anguished neurotic. Now, Alan Rickman might make a good Rothbart...

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: Drew ]

#29 tarabera2345

tarabera2345

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 03:30 PM

I can SO see the two HOLLYWOOD hotties dance to go with their girlfriends. Brad and Brad.They would be the perfect dancers. :eek: :eek: :) ;) :)

#30 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 07:03 PM

I don't think tutus are revealing enough for little Britney. La Bayadere might be more her style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):