This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What celebrities would you think would make a good dancer.

One imagines that most female celebrities had some dance training as a child. With the exception of Suzuki instrument training it seems to be the only type of performance work that a young child can do.

Serious singing training doesn't start until quite late and I can't imagine a drama class for pre-teens: "All right class, today we will begin with Desdemona's death scene from Act IV of Othello".

So any female singer or actor who had talent, loved to perform and showed it when quite young would be in ballet class. Some like Natalie Dessay, Sarah Jessica Parker and Charlize Theron studied for years while others were working professionally in the theater or movies before they could get into serious work.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Ed Waffle ]

I think there is quite a bit of pre-teen drama training -- I have first hand experience with different types of children's drama classes aimed at children as young as nine. Some were really just improvisation exercises but others involved performances of melodramas written for children, adaptations of children's books, religious subjects, even some scenes from "serious" adult drama, etc. I think this is pretty typical, and would be very surprised if some children didn't "study" earlier than nine.

What I experienced didn't involved classical drama (except what I did on my own with friends), but there are decidedly more ambitious attempts at training child actors as well. According to an (unofficial) biography, at the age of 11 Alan Rickman was playing Volumnia in Shakespeare's Coriolanus for a school production. Many professional actors date their first experiences on the stage, professional or amateur, quite early.

At various times in history, child actors in serious drama were rather a vogue -- in London during in 1804 you could see an extremely popular thirteen year old actor (Master Betty) play Hamlet. I'm just noting this, not advocating...

LMCtech: Trent Reznor as Rothbart? I think he would make a good Siegfried. I say this in the spirit of the thread only of course; though an interesting mime in his videos, he's not exactly a classical ballet dancer. Anyway, he does have a certain romantic/erotic obsessiveness, so perhaps he'd fit one of those souped-up contemporary productions in which Siegfried is an ultra anguished neurotic. Now, Alan Rickman might make a good Rothbart...

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: Drew ]