This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What celebrities would you think would make a good dancer.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 tarabera2345

tarabera2345

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 02:35 PM

Although dancing takes some skill some dancers as well as singers and actors would definetly make good dancers. Some people are dancing type but thjat does'bt mean you can not dance. So who do you think should be the next dancer, from any celebs.~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 05:51 PM

Rodney Dangerfield! He can do all of the parts Alexander Radunsky used to do with the Bolshoi!

#3 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 06:01 PM

I would suggest Natalie Dessay, a French soprano. Often a singer is said to "move like a dancer" which really means that she "doesn't move like a singer."

In the case of Dessay it is true. She first set out to be a ballet dancer and took class at least to her middle teens--not sure why she stopped at that point but it is all to the best because she is one of the finest singers in her rep of this generation. Her dance training is really obvious in "Tales of Hoffman" in the Olympia act (which is based on the same E.T.A. Hoffman story as "Coppelia"). Her ability to sing the difficult coloratura while impersonating the mechanical doll is amazing.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 04:14 AM

Sounds like someone who could really do Salome's "Dance of the Seven Veils," if her voice is strong enough to ride that orchestra. (I think "move like a dancer" is sometimes a euphemism for "doesn't lumber across the stage like a grizzly.") :)

Back to the subject at hand, I'd nominate Charlize Theron. I understand she has some dance training and I bet the late Bob Fosse would have gone ape over her. She's also a potential Balanchine Superwoman type too, I think. Also Joanne Woodward. She's a big ballet fan and why no company has asked her to do roles like the Queen in Swan Lake I'll never understand.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: dirac ]

#5 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:03 PM

I've often thought that Richard Chamberlain would have made a good dancer because he bears a strong resemblance to Anthony Dowell. With his noble bearing, I can see RC dancing Siegfried, Albrecht, Prince Desire and any number of Cavaliers.

Melissa

#6 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 04:42 PM

Perhaps Barbra Streisand, if for no other reason than for her strange resemblance to Gelsey Kirkland.

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 04:47 PM

To the amazement of, I suppose, absolutely no one at all, both Richard Chamberlain and La Barb have studied ballet. :)

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 05:11 PM

So has Sean Connery :) (And the late Audrey Hepburn)

Among current celebrities...I can't help here :) (Dirac, I love your definition of moves like a dancer. Very apt.)

#9 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 07:44 PM

I don't know what kind of dancer she would be, but I've often thought that Isabel
Adjani has the perfect face (and temperament) for Giselle...

#10 Jacqueline

Jacqueline

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 07:49 PM

Drew, you are right! Adjani in "Histoire d'Adele H" is very Giselle-like.

Also, Jenna Elfman ...who did study ballet.

#11 tarabera2345

tarabera2345

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 02:38 PM

I think Britney Spears. She seems to be very I dunno to many moves to do ballet. But I could see her trying.

#12 dancersteven

dancersteven

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 06:51 PM

If you watch "Star Wars, A New Hope" (which is the original, from 197?), in the scene where Luke (Mark Hamill) is knocked unconscious by the sand people, you will see that he is lying on the ground with one leg straight and the other in a passable passe
;-). And both legs are perfectly turned out! That hardly qualifies him, but it is a good start. . .

S.

#13 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 07:58 PM

And besides, if he can yell, "Carrie!", when he should have yelled "Leia!", he can make an audience believe his Siegfried would mistake Odile for Odette! ;)

#14 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 08:42 PM

Helen Hunt: She walks like a duck.

#15 Danielle DeVor

Danielle DeVor

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 03:28 PM

I think the only newer actor I've come across that makes me think about him possibly being great at ballet is Julian Sands. If you guys don't knwo who he is he was in horror films like warlock.

Also as far as musicians go... Peter Steele of the band Type O Negative he's 6'6" but as I've seen in some videos I could swear he's got the ballet waddle. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):