This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stiefel To Sponsor Student Of Kennedy Onassis School At Abt

ETHAN STIEFEL TO SPONSOR STUDENT OF

JACQUELINE KENNEDY ONASSIS SCHOOL AT

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Full-Tuition Scholarship to be Awarded to Student of

ABT’s Pre-Professional Training Program for Three-Year Term

Ethan Stiefel, a Principal Dancer at American Ballet Theatre, has established an annual scholarship to the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at ABT, it was announced today by Rachel Moore, Executive Director. The Ethan Stiefel Scholarship will provide one full-tuition scholarship for a term of three years to be granted to a male student of ABT’s pre-professional training program, The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School.

In establishing the scholarship, Ethan Stiefel said, “The art of ballet has given so much to me personally and professionally, and it is important to develop opportunities for others to enjoy the same experience I have had. I feel quite strongly about the need to bring more young male talent to the art, and I hope my contribution will help facilitate that goal in some way.”

The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre, established in January 2004, is a pre-professional classical ballet program currently training students aged 14-18 at the Company’s 890 Broadway rehearsal studios. Directed by Franco De Vita, the school includes a curriculum of classical technique, pointe, pas de deux, character, modern technique and Pilates. Faculty includes members of ABT’s Artistic Staff, ABT alumni and prominent teachers. Students are accepted based on merit and scholarships are available.

Auditions for the Fall semester of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre will be held Monday, April 17 at 890 Broadway in New York City. For audition information, please call 212-477-3030, ext. 3012 or contact mschnyder@abt.org.

For information on supporting the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre, please contact Blair Hartley at bhartley@abt.org.

Wow. Ethan Stiefel is stepping up as a strong leader in the ballet community. I only hope we can also enjoy his own performances for a few more years, given the knee problems he has been having (mentioned in press coverage of Kings of the Dance and Benjamin Millepied Company). I wish him the best.

And what might that entail, Farrell Fan?

As a sponsored audience member I would want to be consulted on repertory and casting, and require free admission for life for me and a guest. The guest might be my sponsor but not necessarily. For the City Center season, I would need a guarantee that nobody taller than 5' 5' be allowed to sit in front of us. In return, my sponsor would be granted a discreet credit in the program in no larger than 10 point type. Thanks for asking, Zerbinetta.

The last time I looked, all the ABT principal dancers had sponsors listed in the program. Now will the ABT principal dancers all sponsor students?

Several former professional dancers, I'm friendly with, anonymously sponsor new ballet talents. My greatest respect goes to Stiefel as well for being able to do this publicly, and I hope it inspires others who would want to be involved in the future of ballet this way. It's very admirable.

Edited by sz