• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

I've been keeping an eye on Kobborg's website, and he's finally listed some info on his USA performances in June. The website says that he & Cojocaru will dance Manon (in Boston) on the 16th, which agrees with the press release from the Wang. It also says that they will dance in Sleeping Beauty at KenCen on 6/22.

http://www.kobborg.c.../diary/cal.html

I expected them to dance the first performance of Sleeping Beauty, but it's nice to have confirmation. Now if only the RB & KenCen would get together and give us casting for the other major roles (Lilac Fairy, Bluebird, Princess Florine, etc) and the rest of the engagement. Come on, Kennedy Center!!!!

Not surprising Cojocaru and Kobborg got first night at all :clapping: In the last RB Sleeping Beauty run (the Makarova version) I think Lilac Fairies and Carabosses weren't announced by the RB until very late though, certainly not the Bluebirds until the actual night :lightbulb: I asked at an insight day once and they don't tend to finalise dates of secondary casts until a few weeks before the run, so for SB in London next month I too am waiting with bated breath. Cojocaru and Kobborg danced Bluebird pdd last time. And Bethany Keating and Steven McRae danced it in a gala, so I have crossed fingers they'll all be cast this time too.

#47 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:52 AM

Here's the London casting for the mixed bill from earlier this season.

La Valse

Marianela Nuñez, Isabel Mcmeekan, Deirdre Chapman, David Makhateli, David Pickering, Gary Avis

Gillian Revie, Lauren Cuthbertson, Vanessa Palmer, Yohei Sasaki, Tom Whitehead, Joshua Tuifua

Tanglewood

Leanne Benjamin, Martin Harvey, Darcey Bussell

Leanne Benjamin, Martin Harvey, Marianela Nunez

Gloria

Alina Cojocaru, Carlos Acosta, Thiago Soares

Sarah Lamb, Edward Watson, Gary Avis

#48 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Not sure this is of use for summer ballet dates at the Ken Cen - but I just got a 1/2 off offer for a Washington hotel - http://hotels.travel...c-hotels/238172

#49 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:06 AM

The casting is up!

Tuesday, June 20 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 42 min.
La Valse (Ashton/Ravel) – 13 min.
(Ansanelli, McMeekan, Chapman, Makhateli, Pickering, Avis)
Pause – 4 min.
Tanglewood (Marriott/Rorem) – 24 min.
(Benjamin, Nuñez, Harvey)
Intermission – 30 min.
Enigma Variations (Ashton/Elgar) – 34 min.
(Saunders, Yanowsky, Watson, Marquez)
Intermission – 30 min.
Gloria (MacMillan/Poulenc) – 27 min.
(Cojocaru, Soares, Acosta)

Wednesday, June 21 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 42 min.
La Valse (Ashton/Ravel) – 13 min.
(Ansanelli, McMeekan, Chapman, Makhateli, Pickering, Avis)
Pause – 4 min.
Tanglewood (Marriott/Rorem) – 24 min.
(Benjamin, Nuñez, Harvey)
Intermission – 30 min.
Enigma Variations (Ashton/Elgar) – 34 min.
(Saunders, Yanowsky, Cervera, Keating)
Intermission – 30 min.
Gloria (MacMillan/Poulenc) – 27 min.
(Lamb, Avis, Watson)

Thursday, June 22 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.
The Sleeping Beauty (Petipa/Tchaikovsky)
Princess Aurora: Cojocaru
Prince Florimund: Kobborg
PROLOGUE – 34 min.
Intermission – 20 min.
ACT ONE – 29 min.
Intermission – 20 min.
ACT TWO – 31 min.
Pause – 1 min.
ACT THREE – 40 min.

Friday, June 23 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.
Princess Aurora: Marquez
Prince Florimund: Bonelli

Saturday, June 24 at 1:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.
Princess Aurora: Lamb
Prince Florimund: Samodurov

Saturday, June 24 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.
Princess Aurora: Nuñez
Prince Florimund: Soares

Sunday, June 25 at 1:30 p.m.
Princess Aurora: Cojocaru
Prince Florimund: Kobborg

http://www.kennedy-c...ent&event=BGBSI

#50 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

Not sure this is of use for summer ballet dates at the Ken Cen - but I just got a 1/2 off offer for a Washington hotel - http://hotels.travel...c-hotels/238172

Argh, just deployed the "no harm in calling and asking for the same or similar rates" strategy for weekday dates in June, and it was a no go! But thank you, Leigh, for letting us know!

and whoo-hoo on that casting! We are very happy campers with much to look forward to!
:)

#51 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,026 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

I don't know the DC area that well, but are there outlying places to stay on the Metro line in Maryland or Virginia that would make the trip more affordable?

#52 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Crystal City, VA, on the blue & yellow Metro lines. A lot of student & tour groups stay at those hotels, so it must be somewhat affordable (at least for groups). Foggy Bottom Station (for the KennCen) is just five blue-line stops away from Crystal City.... to Pentagon Center - Pentagon - Arlington Cem. - Rosslyn - then Foggy Bottom.

The really 'cheap' deals -- the Red Roofs and Days Inns -- are close to major intersections along the beltway but not very close to the Metro.

#53 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hotel Guy checking in:

CAVEAT - there is no guarantee on what I say here - it is all an educated guess. In opaque bidding you could get a completely different hotel. Make sure you understand how to bid on Priceline (I have a primer on my blog - also check betterbidding.com), and have patience - you have time.

With that in mind, I checked Hotwire to see what was out there, what *looks* like the Omni Shoreham - http://www.omnihotel...DCShoreham.aspx is showing up for June 20-22 at $151 a night. Priceline will almost always beat that price. If that hotel would work for you, bid 4* at $80 in the Dupont Circle Zone and work up through re-bidding (you have several - read my blog for more about it) by $5 intervals (if you wish) at first, and then smaller once you get past $95. My guess would be a hit around $110, but again, I have no working crystal ball.

For some reason, rates seem to be high in Crystal City, but it is also very much worth trying - start bidding very low ($40 for 3* or 4*) and work your way up.

#54 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

I am also trying to plan a trip to see the Sleeping Beauty in D.C. and as of today (the 12th) the Kennedy Center casting lists give only the Aurora/Florimund -- has anyone seen word elsewhere about other casting (Lilac Fairy in particular)? I can make some educated guesses, but was hoping people might have heard or seen something. Thanks --

#55 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

Anybody planning on being in Washington DC for the Wed & Thurs performances? I'm travelling from California (I go far for my Royal Ballet).

#56 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:11 AM

I don't blame you, art076. I will come from NYC for Wed and Thursday nights. PM me and perhaps meet...some BA folks meet under the bronze bust of Kennedy in the foyer at intermissions or beforehand. I'll be travelling so don't know arrival times......

Looking forward to it!

#57 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

Hi Art, glad to hear you’re coming east. DC’s practically in my backyard, so I will be there on Thursday. Let’s definitely plan to meet by the Kennedy bust during the 1st intermission – it will be nice to see you again!

Susan

#58 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:39 AM

I am going up to Boston for Manon w/Rojo & Acosta. Anybody saw it last nite/Thursday??????
Will report sometime Sunday!!!!!!

#59 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

I'm doing a fly-by for Thursday's Beauty. I will be with my sister, bro-in-law and their two beautiful daughters.

#60 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

I'll be landing in DC on Friday evening, and seeing the 3 weekend SBs.

--Andre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):