This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Royal Ballet - US Tour?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:05 AM

Akk! Just realized -- I have to get tickets for the Ashton mixed bill on Wed, June 21 and Sleeping Beauty on Thurs, June 22 to make this work. Does anyone think I'll have problems getting tix to SB on its opening night? (and what time does that darn box office open because I can't find that info online?) Thanks!

Chauffer, you shouldn't have a problem getting tickets for those nights, at least not yet! The Kennedy Centerís online system lets you chose the section you want to sit in and then tells you exactly which seat it is offering you. The only problem with using the system is if youíre picky about exactly where you want to sit (like me). I like to be in the first row of the balcony, even if itís on the side. But the online system assigns center seats first, so it may show me D103 when Iíd rather have A15. In that case, itís better to call the box office where you can specify what you want and be told about everything thatís available.

The box office opens at 10 AM. If you are willing to make a $60 donation to the Kennedy Center you can buy your tickets NOW because Kennedy Center members get a 10 day window before single seats go on sale to the public. Thatís what I did, I ordered my tickets on 3/31, and got great seats. Good luck!

#17 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

I've thought about becoming a Kennedy Center member again to get tickets early, but I've been waiting till casting is announced. Royal Ballet watchers, can you say how far in advance casting is usually posted?

#18 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

yeah, I bit the bullet on the $60 membership thing, even before I saw you posted, nysusan! I rationalized that it was worth it on the airfare I'm saving by booking my plane tix today. And we got nearly identical seats for both Wednesday and Thursday -- center of row F in the 1st tier, which is just where I like it. I really thought Thursday, being opening night for Sleeping Beauty, might have fewer tickets available, but I guess not.

Now to decide if we bother friends for beds to sleep in, or go hunting for hotel bargains!

#19 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

Did someone say hotel bargains? :)

Last year, at the same time, I got the 3* Marriott Washington Westend on 22nd Street (in Georgetown) for $60/night, but not until about 5 days before the performance (a few weeks before bids for $65 were not accepted).

If you want to gamble like this, get a normal reservation you can cancel as a backup. If you need any help with Priceline, check out my blog or ask.

#20 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

Did someone say hotel bargains? :)

Last year, at the same time, I got the 3* Marriott Washington Westend on 22nd Street (in Georgetown) for $60/night, but not until about 5 days before the performance (a few weeks before bids for $65 were not accepted).

If you want to gamble like this, get a normal reservation you can cancel as a backup. If you need any help with Priceline, check out my blog or ask.

What's the best way to get to KC from your hotel? Taxi or do you rent a car? I would appreciate your advice Leigh. :)

#21 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

Starr, if I'm not within reasonable walking distance of KC, I like the option of taking the KC Shuttle bus from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop (what's that, the blue or the orange line?). I looove the Metro system, and I remember it can be an absolute bear getting a taxi after KC shows. Unless you know well how to navigate the streets of DC, you really don't want to be driving a car to/from KC. It's easier to end up across the river in Virginia than it is at KC!

and thanks for the Priceline advice, Leigh. I've never tried that, but with a safety net reservation in place, I think I will!

#22 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

About throwing up at hotel prices in the DC area. :). About ready to chuck this idea and just go to NYC and see Diana V. , but it's the Royal ! Chauffer, thanks for the info on the Metro that sounds good.

#23 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Don't freak Starr. You should be able to do better - does anyone know if there's a special event in DC at that time - any sort of convention or something that's affecting the market for hotel rooms?

Something to consider is staying in one of the suburbs on the Metro, like Arlington. That can really help your budget immensely.

We should probably take the travel discussion offlist, but I am only too happy to help. It's one of my hobbies :)

#24 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

Don't freak Starr. You should be able to do better - does anyone know if there's a special event in DC at that time - any sort of convention or something that's affecting the market for hotel rooms?

Something to consider is staying in one of the suburbs on the Metro, like Arlington. That can really help your budget immensely.

We should probably take the travel discussion offlist, but I am only too happy to help. It's one of my hobbies :)

Leigh, maybe we should start another thread for travel discussion. I don't know about any special events in DC this June, but I decided to go for the Kirov & Royal months ago and have been following the hotel costs closely. They are horrendous & have only been going up. I booked the cheapest room I could find in a decent neighborhood (walking distance from KC) back in December. It was $169/night then and has since gone up to $262/night. I found a cheaper hotel a couple of weeks ago and changed my reservation, but that one is no longer available to people who are trying to book now.

Since there seem to be several Ballet Talkers who are planning trips to DC to see these 2 companies perhaps a separate thread is warranted - especially if you have any advise!

#25 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Not freaking too bad Leigh, it's nothing not in my budget but they were cheaper last summer at this time . Reminds me of going to a trade show in New Orleans that someone brilliantly booked during Jazz Fest.

To get back on topic when do you think the Royal will put out casting? Opening night for Sleeping Beauty should be one of the big names(fingers crossed for Alina).

Edited by Starr, 04 April 2006 - 04:42 PM.

#26 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:57 AM

This came from Jack Wright at Celebrity Series - the Boston production group:

For Immediate Release

MEDIA ADVISORY

Bank of America Celebrity Series and
The Wang Center for the Performing Arts
to Present THE ROYAL BALLET
in Kenneth MacMillan's MANON
June 15-17, 2006 at Boston's Wang Theatre

Thursday, June 15, 7:30pm
Friday, June 16, 8pm
Saturday, June 17, 2pm & 8pm

Music by Jules Massenet
Choreography and Direction by Kenneth MacMillan

THE ROYAL BALLET returns to Boston with one of Kenneth MacMillan's best-known works, MANON. MacMillan's seductive version of Prťvost's Manon Lescaut features an Act I pas de deux that is arguably the most provocative choreographic moment in ballet history. The Royal's Manon is a work of engrossing narrative and touching sadness that soars to romantic heights before plunging to its climax of despair and death.

BOSTON CASTS:

Thursday, June 15, 7:30pm
Manon: Tamara Rojo
Des Grieux: Carlos Acosta
Lescaut: Jose Martin
Lescaut's mistress: Sarah Lamb

Friday, June 16, 8pm
Manon: Alina Cojocaru
Des Grieux: Johan Kobborg
Lescaut: Viacheslav Samodurov
Lescaut's mistress: Laura Morera

Saturday, June 17, 2pm (matinee)
Manon: Zenaida Yanowsky
Des Grieux: Kenneth Greve
Lescaut: Thiago Soares
Lescaut's mistress: Marianela Nunez

Saturday, June 17, 8pm (evening)
Manon: Tamara Rojo
Des Grieux: Carlos Acosta
Lescaut: Jose Martin
Lescaut's mistress: Sarah Lamb

#27 Bill

Bill

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

Pretty exciting...c'mon Kennedy Center, let's see what you've got!

#28 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

Still no casting list for Kennedy Center <sigh> but I did just notice that the description on the mixed bill has been expanded:

>>The company will also perform a program of mixed repertory to include two Ashton works--La Valse, with music by Ravel, and Enigma Variations danced to Elgar's beautiful score--as well as company dancer Alastair Marriott's new work Tanglewood, which uses the music of American composer Ned Rorem, and Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Gloria, an evocation of the tragedy of wasted life in World War I that is set to music by Poulenc. <<

Any thoughts on the addition of the Marriott and MacMillan pieces?

#29 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:01 AM

If nothing else, it's a long mixed bill! You're getting your money's worth.

#30 Clara 76

Clara 76

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:09 AM

Where & how would I go about getting tickets to see them at Kennedy Center? Do I have to pay for that Membership in order to get tickets? I have no idea how I'd swing this financially but I'd love to surprise my mom with tickets....

We would be driving so anyone have any advice on where to stay that would be close enough to catch the Metro to the performance but not stupid-expensive? I am assuming that the Metro runs after the performance as well?

The last time I was in Washington DC I spent the entire time inside a hotel ballroom at a conference, so I am not at all familiar with the city. Any advice would be welcomed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):