This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet - US Tour?

This came from Jack Wright at Celebrity Series - the Boston production group:

For Immediate Release

MEDIA ADVISORY

Bank of America Celebrity Series and

The Wang Center for the Performing Arts

to Present THE ROYAL BALLET

in Kenneth MacMillan's MANON

June 15-17, 2006 at Boston's Wang Theatre

Thursday, June 15, 7:30pm

Friday, June 16, 8pm

Saturday, June 17, 2pm & 8pm

Music by Jules Massenet

Choreography and Direction by Kenneth MacMillan

THE ROYAL BALLET returns to Boston with one of Kenneth MacMillan's best-known works, MANON. MacMillan's seductive version of Prévost's Manon Lescaut features an Act I pas de deux that is arguably the most provocative choreographic moment in ballet history. The Royal's Manon is a work of engrossing narrative and touching sadness that soars to romantic heights before plunging to its climax of despair and death.

BOSTON CASTS:

Thursday, June 15, 7:30pm

Manon: Tamara Rojo

Des Grieux: Carlos Acosta

Lescaut: Jose Martin

Lescaut's mistress: Sarah Lamb

Friday, June 16, 8pm

Manon: Alina Cojocaru

Des Grieux: Johan Kobborg

Lescaut: Viacheslav Samodurov

Lescaut's mistress: Laura Morera

Saturday, June 17, 2pm (matinee)

Manon: Zenaida Yanowsky

Des Grieux: Kenneth Greve

Lescaut: Thiago Soares

Lescaut's mistress: Marianela Nunez

Saturday, June 17, 8pm (evening)

Manon: Tamara Rojo

Des Grieux: Carlos Acosta

Lescaut: Jose Martin

Lescaut's mistress: Sarah Lamb

Still no casting list for Kennedy Center <sigh> but I did just notice that the description on the mixed bill has been expanded:

>>The company will also perform a program of mixed repertory to include two Ashton works--La Valse, with music by Ravel, and Enigma Variations danced to Elgar's beautiful score--as well as company dancer Alastair Marriott's new work Tanglewood, which uses the music of American composer Ned Rorem, and Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Gloria, an evocation of the tragedy of wasted life in World War I that is set to music by Poulenc. <<

Any thoughts on the addition of the Marriott and MacMillan pieces?

Where & how would I go about getting tickets to see them at Kennedy Center? Do I have to pay for that Membership in order to get tickets? I have no idea how I'd swing this financially but I'd love to surprise my mom with tickets....

We would be driving so anyone have any advice on where to stay that would be close enough to catch the Metro to the performance but not stupid-expensive? I am assuming that the Metro runs after the performance as well?

The last time I was in Washington DC I spent the entire time inside a hotel ballroom at a conference, so I am not at all familiar with the city. Any advice would be welcomed.

Quick hotel suggestions (Note: I do this as a hobby, follow my advice at your own risk, please don't ask me to talk you through a bid, I just don't have the time, etc. . .)

Cancelable Backup - Book at a Choice Hotel through this link: http://www.smartertravel.com/hotel/mb.php?id=16348 . It's not super cheap (downtown DC is $145/night) but it gives you a room, and a "floor" so you know what to beat - and the reservation should be cancelable without penalty. If you find something better that's cancelable without penalty, book it! (CHECK THE CONDITIONS BEFORE YOU RESERVE!)

Priceline - Looking at a similar site (Hotwire), the going rate in DC for midweek in June (I did 6/21-23) is relatively high. $140 for a 2* hotel. This is significantly more than last year - my guess is a hotel will cost more as well. If I were bidding right now, I'd start at $60 for a 3* in Georgetown and expect it to be rejected. My offhand guess is a winning bid for a 3* will be between $80-$110 in Georgetown and a good deal less in Arlington or Alexandria. I also think brinksmanship may help here - hotels will load inventory onto Priceline about 1-2 weeks before the date.

To learn about how to bid - http://www.leighwitchel.com/blog/archives/travel/priceline/ start at the bottom and read up. Don't be freaked out by the detail - it is a tutorial so it goes through things in more detail than you may need.

The critical reviews and audience reaction for Tanglewood were very favourable. It's a plotless work, and I remember from a masterclass Marriott saying that some moments in the choreography he was trying to evoke images of Margo Fonteyn('s Aurora?). Darcey Bussell, Leanne Benjamin and Martin Harvey danced the first night and I remember Sarah Lamb being in the frame somewhere too.

Some images here

http://www.ballet.co.uk/gallery/jr_rb_lavalse_mixedbill_1105

I was watching MacMillan's Requiem at the ROH last night and was thinking how much I'd like to see Gloria again too in spite of the fact that it's only just been on. First cast for that was Alina Cojocaru, Carlos Acosta, Thiago Soares, Laura Morera, and second cast was Sarah Lamb, Edward Watson, Gary Avis...and I'm struggling to remember who the girl was, I'll have to look it up! But it's a powerful piece and both were fantastic - I imagine it'll be a similar cast for the tour.

Quick hotel suggestions (Note: I do this as a hobby, follow my advice at your own risk, please don't ask me to talk you through a bid, I just don't have the time, etc. . .)

Cancelable Backup - Book at a Choice Hotel through this link: http://www.smartertravel.com/hotel/mb.php?id=16348 . It's not super cheap (downtown DC is $145/night) but it gives you a room, and a "floor" so you know what to beat - and the reservation should be cancelable without penalty. If you find something better that's cancelable without penalty, book it! (CHECK THE CONDITIONS BEFORE YOU RESERVE!)

Priceline - Looking at a similar site (Hotwire), the going rate in DC for midweek in June (I did 6/21-23) is relatively high. $140 for a 2* hotel. This is significantly more than last year - my guess is a hotel will cost more as well. If I were bidding right now, I'd start at $60 for a 3* in Georgetown and expect it to be rejected. My offhand guess is a winning bid for a 3* will be between $80-$110 in Georgetown and a good deal less in Arlington or Alexandria. I also think brinksmanship may help here - hotels will load inventory onto Priceline about 1-2 weeks before the date.

To learn about how to bid - http://www.leighwitchel.com/blog/archives/travel/priceline/ start at the bottom and read up. Don't be freaked out by the detail - it is a tutorial so it goes through things in more detail than you may need.

I have followed your advice Leigh and have my cancelable backup(got a slightly better rate than I thought with my AAA membership) and will try priceline/hotwire to get a better deal.

Still no casting list for Kennedy Center <sigh> but I did just notice that the description on the mixed bill has been expanded:

>>The company will also perform a program of mixed repertory to include two Ashton works--La Valse, with music by Ravel, and Enigma Variations danced to Elgar's beautiful score--as well as company dancer Alastair Marriott's new work Tanglewood, which uses the music of American composer Ned Rorem, and Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Gloria, an evocation of the tragedy of wasted life in World War I that is set to music by Poulenc. <<

Tanglewood got good reviews in London. Did you get tickets for the mixed bill and Beauty? That's what I did.

Starr - now that you have a backup, remember to be patient with Priceline. At this point you can bid every 24 hours. Make a decision about what zones you want to stay in and your bidding ceiling and stick to it - if you must compromise, do it much closer to the actual dates.

OK, enough hotel bidding - if you have a specific question, it's easiest to email me :)

I want to go to Boston for the May program (Les Noces, etc) and if you think hotel rates are insane in DC, try Boston. Just vile.

Where & how would I go about getting tickets to see them at Kennedy Center? Do I have to pay for that Membership in order to get tickets? I have no idea how I'd swing this financially but I'd love to surprise my mom with tickets....

You can buy tickets, without becoming a member, at the Kennedy Center website - you have to open an account there but it doesn't cost anything to do that. The website (just google Kennedy Center) is pretty easy to navigate.

Thanks so much for all your help! I did it- booked the hotel and got the tickets tonight!

When I tried earlier on the KC website, I couldn't find The Royal Ballet listed, but tonight, I figured it out! I am beyond excited, and I can't wait to see my mom's face when I surprise her with the tickets....this is a dream come true. :)

McMillan's Gloria as I remember it was very moving. More an evocation of an era than a story ballet.

did you enjoy mcmillan's gloria? i don't know very much about the ballet myself but am very interested. where did you see it performed? i do know that it is set during wwI, but is there any other story behind it?

I've been keeping an eye on Kobborg's website, and he's finally listed some info on his USA performances in June. The website says that he & Cojocaru will dance Manon (in Boston) on the 16th, which agrees with the press release from the Wang. It also says that they will dance in Sleeping Beauty at KenCen on 6/22.

http://www.kobborg.co.uk/diary/cal.html

I expected them to dance the first performance of Sleeping Beauty, but it's nice to have confirmation. Now if only the RB & KenCen would get together and give us casting for the other major roles (Lilac Fairy, Bluebird, Princess Florine, etc) and the rest of the engagement. Come on, Kennedy Center!!!!

Hooray! Not entirely unexpected to have Cojocaru/Kobborg on opening night, as they are first cast in London as well.

Now, as for the others..... at least we know which casts will be rotated (see the Royal Ballet's web site here), its just a matter of *when* they might be performing. In London they have 5 casts, and in DC we will have 5 performances. I hope we will at least see Marianela Nunez and Sarah Lamb's Auroras.

I've been keeping an eye on Kobborg's website, and he's finally listed some info on his USA performances in June. The website says that he & Cojocaru will dance Manon (in Boston) on the 16th, which agrees with the press release from the Wang. It also says that they will dance in Sleeping Beauty at KenCen on 6/22.

http://www.kobborg.co.uk/diary/cal.html

I expected them to dance the first performance of Sleeping Beauty, but it's nice to have confirmation. Now if only the RB & KenCen would get together and give us casting for the other major roles (Lilac Fairy, Bluebird, Princess Florine, etc) and the rest of the engagement. Come on, Kennedy Center!!!!

Not surprising Cojocaru and Kobborg got first night at all :clapping: In the last RB Sleeping Beauty run (the Makarova version) I think Lilac Fairies and Carabosses weren't announced by the RB until very late though, certainly not the Bluebirds until the actual night :lightbulb: I asked at an insight day once and they don't tend to finalise dates of secondary casts until a few weeks before the run, so for SB in London next month I too am waiting with bated breath. Cojocaru and Kobborg danced Bluebird pdd last time. And Bethany Keating and Steven McRae danced it in a gala, so I have crossed fingers they'll all be cast this time too.

Here's the London casting for the mixed bill from earlier this season.

La Valse

Marianela Nuñez, Isabel Mcmeekan, Deirdre Chapman, David Makhateli, David Pickering, Gary Avis

Gillian Revie, Lauren Cuthbertson, Vanessa Palmer, Yohei Sasaki, Tom Whitehead, Joshua Tuifua

Tanglewood

Leanne Benjamin, Martin Harvey, Darcey Bussell

Leanne Benjamin, Martin Harvey, Marianela Nunez

Gloria

Alina Cojocaru, Carlos Acosta, Thiago Soares

Sarah Lamb, Edward Watson, Gary Avis

The casting is up!

Tuesday, June 20 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 42 min.

La Valse (Ashton/Ravel) – 13 min.

(Ansanelli, McMeekan, Chapman, Makhateli, Pickering, Avis)

Pause – 4 min.

Tanglewood (Marriott/Rorem) – 24 min.

(Benjamin, Nuñez, Harvey)

Intermission – 30 min.

Enigma Variations (Ashton/Elgar) – 34 min.

(Saunders, Yanowsky, Watson, Marquez)

Intermission – 30 min.

Gloria (MacMillan/Poulenc) – 27 min.

(Cojocaru, Soares, Acosta)

Wednesday, June 21 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 42 min.

La Valse (Ashton/Ravel) – 13 min.

(Ansanelli, McMeekan, Chapman, Makhateli, Pickering, Avis)

Pause – 4 min.

Tanglewood (Marriott/Rorem) – 24 min.

(Benjamin, Nuñez, Harvey)

Intermission – 30 min.

Enigma Variations (Ashton/Elgar) – 34 min.

(Saunders, Yanowsky, Cervera, Keating)

Intermission – 30 min.

Gloria (MacMillan/Poulenc) – 27 min.

(Lamb, Avis, Watson)

Thursday, June 22 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.

The Sleeping Beauty (Petipa/Tchaikovsky)

Princess Aurora: Cojocaru

Prince Florimund: Kobborg

PROLOGUE – 34 min.

Intermission – 20 min.

ACT ONE – 29 min.

Intermission – 20 min.

ACT TWO – 31 min.

Pause – 1 min.

ACT THREE – 40 min.

Friday, June 23 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.

Princess Aurora: Marquez

Prince Florimund: Bonelli

Saturday, June 24 at 1:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.

Princess Aurora: Lamb

Prince Florimund: Samodurov

Saturday, June 24 at 7:30 p.m.: 2 hrs., 55 min.

Princess Aurora: Nuñez

Prince Florimund: Soares

Sunday, June 25 at 1:30 p.m.

Princess Aurora: Cojocaru

Prince Florimund: Kobborg

http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/ind...ent&event=BGBSI

Not sure this is of use for summer ballet dates at the Ken Cen - but I just got a 1/2 off offer for a Washington hotel - http://hotels.travelzoo.com/washington-dc-hotels/238172

Argh, just deployed the "no harm in calling and asking for the same or similar rates" strategy for weekday dates in June, and it was a no go! But thank you, Leigh, for letting us know!

and whoo-hoo on that casting! We are very happy campers with much to look forward to!

:)