This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet - US Tour?

Holy cow, my daughter was just today saying that she would love to see Royal Ballet perform!! The KC dates and distance are doable for us, so what say you experts to the choices -- the mixed repertory program with two Ashton pieces (La Valse and Enigma Variations) or Sleeping Beauty?

I sent a query to the RB for details and just received this nice reply:

Thank you for your e-mail which has been forwarded to The Royal Ballet for attention. As soon as the whole of the tour has been confirmed, we will then be putting details of where we are going and what we are performing (and hopefully who will be dancing!) on our website

So keep checking!

Ticket sales to the public for the Kennedy Center appearance go on sale this friday, April 7. I'm trying to decide if I can safely commit to some excellent midweek airfares before then. And by "safely" I mean, will I still be able to get tickets to the Tuesday mixed bill and the Wednesday Sleeping Beauty (fie on you, Leigh Witchel, for encouraging me to attempt both!)? What are people's experiences with how quickly Kennedy Center ballet bills sell? thanks!

oh, and any tips on whether it's better to buy online or go through the switchboard, Ticketmaster or whatever other purchasing route is available?

Edited by chauffeur

Akk! Just realized -- I have to get tickets for the Ashton mixed bill on Wed, June 21 and Sleeping Beauty on Thurs, June 22 to make this work. Does anyone think I'll have problems getting tix to SB on its opening night? (and what time does that darn box office open because I can't find that info online?) Thanks!

Akk! Just realized -- I have to get tickets for the Ashton mixed bill on Wed, June 21 and Sleeping Beauty on Thurs, June 22 to make this work. Does anyone think I'll have problems getting tix to SB on its opening night? (and what time does that darn box office open because I can't find that info online?) Thanks!

Chauffer, you shouldn't have a problem getting tickets for those nights, at least not yet! The Kennedy Center’s online system lets you chose the section you want to sit in and then tells you exactly which seat it is offering you. The only problem with using the system is if you’re picky about exactly where you want to sit (like me). I like to be in the first row of the balcony, even if it’s on the side. But the online system assigns center seats first, so it may show me D103 when I’d rather have A15. In that case, it’s better to call the box office where you can specify what you want and be told about everything that’s available.

The box office opens at 10 AM. If you are willing to make a $60 donation to the Kennedy Center you can buy your tickets NOW because Kennedy Center members get a 10 day window before single seats go on sale to the public. That’s what I did, I ordered my tickets on 3/31, and got great seats. Good luck!

I've thought about becoming a Kennedy Center member again to get tickets early, but I've been waiting till casting is announced. Royal Ballet watchers, can you say how far in advance casting is usually posted?

yeah, I bit the bullet on the $60 membership thing, even before I saw you posted, nysusan! I rationalized that it was worth it on the airfare I'm saving by booking my plane tix today. And we got nearly identical seats for both Wednesday and Thursday -- center of row F in the 1st tier, which is just where I like it. I really thought Thursday, being opening night for Sleeping Beauty, might have fewer tickets available, but I guess not.

Now to decide if we bother friends for beds to sleep in, or go hunting for hotel bargains!

Did someone say hotel bargains? :)

Last year, at the same time, I got the 3* Marriott Washington Westend on 22nd Street (in Georgetown) for $60/night, but not until about 5 days before the performance (a few weeks before bids for $65 were not accepted).

If you want to gamble like this, get a normal reservation you can cancel as a backup. If you need any help with Priceline, check out my blog or ask.

Did someone say hotel bargains? :)

Last year, at the same time, I got the 3* Marriott Washington Westend on 22nd Street (in Georgetown) for $60/night, but not until about 5 days before the performance (a few weeks before bids for $65 were not accepted).

If you want to gamble like this, get a normal reservation you can cancel as a backup. If you need any help with Priceline, check out my blog or ask.

What's the best way to get to KC from your hotel? Taxi or do you rent a car? I would appreciate your advice Leigh. :)

Starr, if I'm not within reasonable walking distance of KC, I like the option of taking the KC Shuttle bus from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop (what's that, the blue or the orange line?). I looove the Metro system, and I remember it can be an absolute bear getting a taxi after KC shows. Unless you know well how to navigate the streets of DC, you really don't want to be driving a car to/from KC. It's easier to end up across the river in Virginia than it is at KC!

and thanks for the Priceline advice, Leigh. I've never tried that, but with a safety net reservation in place, I think I will!

Don't freak Starr. You should be able to do better - does anyone know if there's a special event in DC at that time - any sort of convention or something that's affecting the market for hotel rooms?

Something to consider is staying in one of the suburbs on the Metro, like Arlington. That can really help your budget immensely.

We should probably take the travel discussion offlist, but I am only too happy to help. It's one of my hobbies :)

Don't freak Starr. You should be able to do better - does anyone know if there's a special event in DC at that time - any sort of convention or something that's affecting the market for hotel rooms?

Something to consider is staying in one of the suburbs on the Metro, like Arlington. That can really help your budget immensely.

We should probably take the travel discussion offlist, but I am only too happy to help. It's one of my hobbies :)

Leigh, maybe we should start another thread for travel discussion. I don't know about any special events in DC this June, but I decided to go for the Kirov & Royal months ago and have been following the hotel costs closely. They are horrendous & have only been going up. I booked the cheapest room I could find in a decent neighborhood (walking distance from KC) back in December. It was $169/night then and has since gone up to $262/night. I found a cheaper hotel a couple of weeks ago and changed my reservation, but that one is no longer available to people who are trying to book now.

Since there seem to be several Ballet Talkers who are planning trips to DC to see these 2 companies perhaps a separate thread is warranted - especially if you have any advise!

Not freaking too bad Leigh, it's nothing not in my budget but they were cheaper last summer at this time . Reminds me of going to a trade show in New Orleans that someone brilliantly booked during Jazz Fest.

To get back on topic when do you think the Royal will put out casting? Opening night for Sleeping Beauty should be one of the big names(fingers crossed for Alina).

Edited by Starr