This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

harlequinade

Guest quimera_girl

Guest quimera_girl

hello, i am doing my final work to graduate as a ballet dancer and i need a lot of information about the Harlequinade pas de deux, and i am having a lot of problems searching for information do someone know were i can find some, or do you know somehitng about it?

Hi, Qimera Girl, and welcome to the Dancers' Forum on Ballet Talk here at Ballet Alert! Online!

Do you know the composer of the work you're seeking? If it's Riccardo Drigo, it may be the Harlequinade which used to be titled "Harlequin's Millions" and is on a video, at least in part, called "Ballet Legends". If it's not Drigo, then all bets are off! wink.gif

i assume you mean the central pas de deux for columbine and harlequin in act one of the ballet, originally choreographed by marius petipa to a score by riccardo drigo and first presented in 1900 in st. petersburg, russia.

tho' there are now a number of versions around since. in russia there's one by alexander gorsky, from 1907, and here in the states there is balanchine's (at new york city ballet) from 1965 (expanded in '73).

there is a prominent pas de deux for the leading couple in both acts one and two, but i think it's the first act duet that you probably mean.

the new york public library's catalogue on line - catnyp - should provide a helpful guide to the items it has about this work and to the films it has for watching.

have you checked the 'balanchine's stories of the ballets'? or its reprint called 'ballet festival' (or something like that)?

there is a 'harlequinade' duet on a commercial video cassette called 'ballet legends' featuring ninel kurgapkina. she dances what i think is the gorsky version of the choreography. (her harlequin is nikolai kovmir is i rem. correctly).

this same pas de deux is also recorded in black and white as i recall on 'russian ballet, a glorious tradition, vol. 2' with kurgapkina and kovmir (both these tapes have been sold commercially).

there are likely entries on the full ballet in the companion/guides written by cyril beaumont, mary clarke and clement crisp, and others.

if you know someone with a longstanding video collection, you might find the 1979 telecast of 'baryshnikov at the white house' that includes a little suite for balanchine's 'harlequinade' that shows some of the children's dances and the first act pas de deux from balanchine's full ballet with baryshnikov's harlequin partnering patricia mcbride's columbine.