This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Another obituary, alas, this one for Anna Moffo, age 73. I did not see her live, although I have a recording of her in Lucia and it’s one of my favorites.

Though Ms. Moffo's career began splendidly, her voice had declined by her late 30's. With her radiant appearance, she was drawn early on into television and film, playing host of her own variety show on Italian television for many years.

She might not have fulfilled her promise, but for a good dozen years Ms. Moffo enjoyed enormous success and won a devoted following at a time when her competition for roles like Verdi's Violetta, Puccini's Mimi and Donizetti's Lucia included Maria Callas, Renata Tebaldi and Joan Sutherland.

Another obituary, alas, this one for Anna Moffo, age 73. I did not see her live, although I have a recording of her in Lucia and it’s one of my favorites.

A very, very beautiful woman. The first time I saw her at the Met was in La Traviata and just for a second I caught my breath when the curtain rose, she was that stunning.

Richard

I had several of her albums when I was a teenager -- each with the photo of a fantastically beautiful woman on the cover. Those, plus her numerous tv appearances and Met broadcasts, made her one of the most famous names in American opera. I remember being especially impressed that she was born in the US, an Italian-American rather than the more familiar Italian import.

I'm sure Moffo was responsible for attrracting a great many fans to the Met and other opera houses, where they (we) had the chance to grow to love other artists and other repertoire as well.

On an sad and eerie note, in the April issue of Opera News, there is an advertisement for a tribute in memory of Birgit Nilsson, and Moffo is listed as one of the guests paying tribute to her.

(There was also an obituary for Enrico di Giuseppe, who sang Rodolfo in the first live opera I ever attended, in the same issue.)