This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but I wanted to tell people that this DVD is definitely worth getting. It's divided into two parts: dancing and talking. 70 minutes of Maya dancing, and some of the material isn't new but a lot of it is, including a complete performance of Bejart's Bolero, from 1977. And of course, who could ever get tired of seeing Maya do The Dying Swan? The 50 minute interview is wonderful. She has some truly incredible stories to tell, like getting a call basically saying, "Chairman Mao is coming to visit. Please dance." Or Stalin going incognito to a Swan Lake and dying the next day. Maya is as beautiful as ever, and her husband Schedrin is incredibly handsome too. But my favorite part of the entire dvd is Maya recalling her debut in Raymonda. She starts humming the Raymonda melody, and her arms start moving along with the music, and her eyes glisten and she smiles, and I've rarely been so uplifted by watching a dance video.

Well, Tax Return time is coming and this will be on my list of DVDs to get. I already have Plisetskaya Dances, so Diva of Dance will be a logical addition. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Edited by Roach