This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2007 Kennedy Center Performances

From the Kennedy Center announcement regarding the 2006-2007 season:

"The Kennedy Center's own ballet company performs two programs to include Bejart's Rite of Spring, the scene d'amour from Bejart's Romeo and Juliet as part of the Shakespeare in Washington festival, and Balanchine classics."

Perofrmances scheduled for early June 2007.

Interesting program. It sometimes seems to me that Bejart is dismissed too easily in the US without the opportunity to see much of his work.

These are relatively early works. I have very non-specific memories of his Rite of Spring from the 60s but recall it as quite exciting. Oddly, I remember the excitement more than the actual ballet.

I'm glad that Farrell remains committed to honoring the Bejart portion of her career.

I'm glad that Farrell remains committed to honoring the Bejart portion of her career.

Me, too. I hope this program comes off. Something like it was scheduled for this past November, but was eventually replaced by an all-Balanchine program -- not that there was anything wrong with that.

Excerpts from the love scene from Bejart's "Romeo and Juliet" can be seen in "Suzanne Farrell: Elusive Muse," danced by Farrell and her great partner during the Bejart years, Jorge Donn, who died in 1992. In her autobiography, Suzanne says she and Donn had in common being idolized by their ballet masters, and expresses great affection for him.