This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sleeping Beauty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:07 AM

After two hours of phoning and getting the busy signal I managed to get some great tickets to see Sleeping Beauty on the 3rd of June. I wasn't sure who to choose as Aurora and (as I can only really afford to go once) I chose Marianela Nunez. Someone once recommended I see her in a happier role (I have only ever seen her Odette/Odile, Queen of the Wilis and Gamzatti). Do you think I've made a wise choice?

#2 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hmmmm... I think most likely yes for Act I bday party beginning but not sure about Rose Adage... however this is one strong gal.

Interesting what you've seen her in - she's such a bright, sunny dancer. I really like her in happier roles, like Lise or even Sylvia or Lescaut's mistress. But then she gets these darker, sexier roles too - like the 'evil girl' (cannot spell name right so am not going to try) in Daphnis and Chloe.

That said, I was happily surprised by her Myrtha. She brought a bit of warmth and loss to the role - it was a very interesting interpretation!

#3 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

I liked Nunez a lot even in the last production, and going by the form she's been in so far this season I should think she'll be gorgeous. However I wouldn't like to see her typecast in 'cheerful' roles - her Nikiya was beautiful, especially in the Shades scene, and I can imagine her as a lovely Giselle too.

#4 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:31 AM

Interesting what you've seen her in - she's such a bright, sunny dancer. I really like her in happier roles, like Lise or even Sylvia or Lescaut's mistress. But then she gets these darker, sexier roles too - like the 'evil girl' (cannot spell name right so am not going to try) in Daphnis and Chloe.

I know - I have never seen her smile. The person who recommended her in happier roles was a guy I was sitting next to in Giselle. He said she was kind of restricted by these roles, and that she was great in roles such as Lise. I can't imagine her being jolly!

I'm glad she will be my Aurora. She is a very gifted dancer and I am looking forward to seeing her doing something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):