This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty

After two hours of phoning and getting the busy signal I managed to get some great tickets to see Sleeping Beauty on the 3rd of June. I wasn't sure who to choose as Aurora and (as I can only really afford to go once) I chose Marianela Nunez. Someone once recommended I see her in a happier role (I have only ever seen her Odette/Odile, Queen of the Wilis and Gamzatti). Do you think I've made a wise choice?

Hmmmm... I think most likely yes for Act I bday party beginning but not sure about Rose Adage... however this is one strong gal.

Interesting what you've seen her in - she's such a bright, sunny dancer. I really like her in happier roles, like Lise or even Sylvia or Lescaut's mistress. But then she gets these darker, sexier roles too - like the 'evil girl' (cannot spell name right so am not going to try) in Daphnis and Chloe.

That said, I was happily surprised by her Myrtha. She brought a bit of warmth and loss to the role - it was a very interesting interpretation!

I liked Nunez a lot even in the last production, and going by the form she's been in so far this season I should think she'll be gorgeous. However I wouldn't like to see her typecast in 'cheerful' roles - her Nikiya was beautiful, especially in the Shades scene, and I can imagine her as a lovely Giselle too.

Interesting what you've seen her in - she's such a bright, sunny dancer. I really like her in happier roles, like Lise or even Sylvia or Lescaut's mistress. But then she gets these darker, sexier roles too - like the 'evil girl' (cannot spell name right so am not going to try) in Daphnis and Chloe.

I know - I have never seen her smile. The person who recommended her in happier roles was a guy I was sitting next to in Giselle. He said she was kind of restricted by these roles, and that she was great in roles such as Lise. I can't imagine her being jolly!

I'm glad she will be my Aurora. She is a very gifted dancer and I am looking forward to seeing her doing something different.