This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tcherepnin's "Le Pavillon D'armide"

For those that have the Chandos recording of 'Pavillon', what music is used for the famous Pas de Trois and the Nijinsky variation? The liner notes and the track listings give no indication of this.

For those that have the Chandos recording of 'Pavillon', what music is used for the famous Pas de Trois and the Nijinsky variation? The liner notes and the track listings give no indication of this.

Solar

I don't have access to my copy of the CD presently but my recollection is that it followed the score.

May I take this opportunity to voice my complaint against all recording companies which produce ballet recordings and then fail to reproduce the libretto in the liner notes (just about always the case!).

PHENBY

LE PAVILLON D’ARMIDE

Ballet en trois tableaux.

Poème d’Alexandre Benois.

Chorégraphie de Michel Fokine

Musique de N. TCHEREPNINE.

[snip]

Edited by carbro

Hello All

David Lewiston calling from Maui. Listening to the complete version of "Pavillon" on Hawaii Public Radio as I write. Gorgeous score, but too many rice krispies (snaps crackles & pops). I'll have to ask whether it's an LP when it's over.

A *very* long time ago (late '50s or early '60s) I met Sascha T in the New York apartment of Olga de Hartmann, the widow of Thomas de Hartmann, which whom I studied composition in the early '50s until his death in April '56. Lovely chap, de H.

I've been wondering for the longest time what happened to de Hartmann's score for the "Red Flower" ballet, which was mounted at the Maryinsky. Does anyone here have a clue?

Salutations, David Lewiston

Hi, davidl from Maui (which sounds even more tempting than usual on this 20-something degree day). I hope someone can answer your question, even though it sounds extremely arcane to me. But who knows? We do have some very knowledgeable members!

Meanwhile, I hope you've been browsing our board and will contribute as other topics spark your interest. And please feel free to introduce yourself in our Welcome forum.

not sure what you mean by 'what happened to':

do you mean does anyone have a copy of the score these days?

or, has anyone ever used it again for a ballet?

here is what the NYPLibrary for the Perf. Arts dance divison lists of the ballet's beginnings:

Beauty and the beast : Original title: Alen'kii tsvetochek. Chor: Nikolai Legat; mus: Thomas Hartmann; lib: Pavel Marzhetzkii after the story by Sergei Aksakov; scen: Konstantin Korovin. First perf: St. Petersburg, Maryinsky Theater, Dec 16, 1907 (O.S.).

RED FLOWER was the original title of the work (see: "Alen'kii tsvetochek" "Red Flower" in Russian i believe, above).

It would seem also that the work was given at Moscow's Bolshoi Theatre subsequently - at one point i posted a scan of Geltser and Tikhomirov in the ballet from Moscow.

Still, as noted, i'm unsure about just what your query means.

here is what the NYPLibrary for the Perf. Arts dance divison lists of the ballet's beginnings:

Beauty and the beast : Original title: Alen'kii tsvetochek. Chor: Nikolai Legat; mus: Thomas Hartmann; lib: Pavel Marzhetzkii after the story by Sergei Aksakov; scen: Konstantin Korovin. First perf: St. Petersburg, Maryinsky Theater, Dec 16, 1907 (O.S.).

RED FLOWER was the original title of the work (see: "Alen'kii tsvetochek" "Red Flower" in Russian i believe, above).

It would seem also that the work was given at Moscow's Bolshoi Theatre subsequently - at one point i posted a scan of Geltser and Tikhomirov in the ballet from Moscow.

Still, as noted, i'm unsure about just what your query means.

I am not sure where Beauty and the Beast comes from?

The Little Red Flower was a large scale ballet in 5 acts and 8 scenes first performed at the Maryinsky Theatre on 16/12/07. The starry cast included: Pavel Gerdt, Anna Pavlova, Vera Trefilova, Olga Preobrazenskaya, Mikhail Fokine, Leonid Leontiev and Alexander Bulgakov. There appears to have been an interpolated pas de deux called "Reverie" for Mathilde Kschessinskay and Nikolai Legat."

Legat staged the ballet at the Bolshoi in 1911 with Geltzer and Tikhhomirov.

The ballet was also staged in Novosibirsk in 1949, at the Rizhsky Theatre(Moscow?) 1951 and in Tashkent in 1955.

This does at least suggest there are scores of the ballet in Russia.

i have seen this work called THE SCARLET FLOWER or THE BLOOD-RED FLOWER.

the basic story is, as i understand it, that of the story of "The Beauty and the Beast," in which a flower figures promiently as a sign of life (or the lack of life) so I assume the NYPL listing gives the ballet the title of its narrative.

i have seen this work called THE SCARLET FLOWER or THE BLOOD-RED FLOWER.

the basic story is, as i understand it, that of the story of "The Beauty and the Beast," in which a flower figures promiently as a sign of life (or the lack of life) so I assume the NYPL listing gives the ballet the title of its narrative.

Thanks Robert. I misread the title and I have now obtained a copy of the story which is indeed a variant of The Beauty and the Beast. With the names of the characters in the ballet I had not made a connection being only familiar with the English pantomime version of the story.

I've been wondering for the longest time what happened to de Hartmann's score for the "Red Flower" ballet, . . .
not sure what you mean by 'what happened to':

do you mean does anyone have a copy of the score

I read davidl's question to beabout the whereabouts of the specific copy owned by Olga and Thomas de Hartmann. As friends of Tcherepnin, theirs may well have had some notations by the composer, giving it special value.

A *very* long time ago (late '50s or early '60s) I met Sascha T in the New York apartment of Olga de Hartmann, the widow of Thomas de Hartmann, which whom I studied composition in the early '50s until his death in April '56. Lovely chap, de H.

I've been wondering for the longest time what happened to de Hartmann's score for the "Red Flower" ballet, which was mounted at the Maryinsky. Does anyone here have a clue?

Salutations, David Lewiston

Hello David

I suggest that you try the following: The Thomas de Hartmann papers consist of 15 linear feet of material in 31 boxes. His life and career are documented by manuscript and published music, correspondence, concert programs, reviews, newspaper clippings, and photographs. A 79 page register (Mss 46) of this collection is available from the Yale University Music Library, P.O. Box 208320, Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520-8320.

Regards

Leonid