This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

a new etoile (Hervé Moreau, March 2006)

Thanks for the big news, cygneblanc ! :D

(I'm going to edit the title so that the thread is easier to find later...)

Have you seen his performance in "La Bayadère" ? Who was his partner then ?

Here is a page about Hervé Moreau on the POB web site:

http://www.operadeparis.fr/ToutSavoir/LeBa...HerveMoreau.asp

It seems he's about 28 or 29 now (he joined the company in 1995, aged 18)- so that makes him the second youngest étoile after Mathieu Ganio.

Actually that makes quite a lot of new étoiles in less than two years (Gillot in March 2004, Ganio in May 2004, Romoli in February 2005, Moussin in May 2005, Pech in September 2005)- but that's not so surprising given all the retirements...

Actually he's a dancer I don't know much, as I rarely saw him in big roles (also there were some periods when he was injured...) Well, cygneblanc (and other POB viewers), feel free to share your impressions about Moreau (and memories of his performances) !

No, Estelle I haven't seen him yesterday because his partner was Aurélie Dupont (and I'm not a fan of her dance, so I elected to go some others performances) but I saw him the day before during the general rehearsal and I have to say he was quite good, but it was only a rehearsal and you can't expect the same level of showing since it's only a rehearsal..

This is the second nomination of a man in a very short time, and I'm a little worried of the impact of these nominations on the women's ones. I mean, Dorothée Gilbert was brilliant, and she deserves a promotion to the etoile position. And what of the youngest ones ? Theorically, there won't be some women spots available until Miss Lestetu's departure, and it won't be before long so...

But kudos :D to Hervé Moreau!

Edited by cygneblanc
No, Estelle I haven't seen him yesterday because his partner was Aurélie Dupont (and I'm not a fan of her dance, so I elected to go some others performances) but I saw him the day before during the general rehearsal and I have to say he was quite good, but it was only a rehearsal and you can't expect the same level of showing since it's only a rehearsal..

Thanks for your comments. Was it his first Solor ?

And did you see him before in other big roles ?

This is the second nomination of a man in a very short time, and I'm a little worried of the impact of these nominations on the women's ones. I mean, Dorothée Gilbert was brilliant, and she deserves a promotion to the etoile position. And what of the youngest ones ? Theorically, there won't be some women spots available until Miss Lestetu's departure, and it won't be before long so...

Well, the politics of étoile promotions seems to be so complicated (and to vary so much -several years with zero promotions, and then many in a short period, people promoted unusually late, etc.) that I'm more or less giving up understanding it !

But before Agnes Letestu's retirement, there will be Delphine Moussin's retirement, as she is older ? Also it seems to me that the number of étoiles of both genders varied quite a lot in some periods... If I'm not mistaken, there are now 6 female étoiles (Aurélie Dupont, Marie-Agnès Gillot, Agnès Letestu, Delphine Moussin, Clairemarie Osta, Laëtitia Pujol) and 9 male étoiles (Jean-Guillaume Bart, Kader Belarbi, Mathieu Ganio, Manuel Legris, Nicolas Le Riche, José Martinez, Hervé Moreau, Benjamin Pech, Wilfried Romoli), which is indeed far more than a few years ago (which, by the way, makes me feel a bit doubtful about the arguments then that "there is not promotion because no position is available...), also the number or positions of premiers danseurs is very high (and most of them are quite young). There are more male étoiles than female ones, but one must take into account the fact that three of them (Belarbi, Legris and Romoli) dance fewer and fewer classics, while all the female étoiles are quite active (except Delphine Moussin now because of maternity leave).

I guess that some young dancers now might experience the same problem as some of a previous generation, when most of the étoile positions were filled by dancers born around 1961-64 (Guérin, Maurin, Pietregalla, Arbo, Gaïda, Hilaire, Legris...) and there were very few promotions for several years- and back then there also were not so many premiers danseurs, and it seems to me that also the sujets and premiers danseurs got fewer opportunities of big roles- at least Dorothée Gilbert got an opportunity get promoted young as a première danseuse, and to dance several big roles (Liebeslieder Walzer, the Brown new work, Forsythe, Concerto Barocco...) when she was only a sujet... Even someone like Agnès Letestu, who was considered as very brilliant when coming out of the school, had to wait quite long before being finally promoted as étoile...