#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Thank you for the review, MJ.

Unless a miracle happens, the closest to Seattle the company will get is Berkeley in February 2008. There's an opening night triple bill (Chaconne, a Possokhov to traditional Georgian music, and an American premiere of a Ratmansky ballet) following by three performances of Giselle. As it happens, San Francisco Ballet will be performing Giselle as well that weekend. It will be an interesting contrast. And Jordi Savall is also in Berkeley Saturday night, for a full weekend.

#17 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

My only complaint: Lousy recording, sounded like an old LP. Second complaint, I could hear the dancers talking, The Shubert has excellent acoustics!
I hope the New York dance critics took the train up to see a wonderful performance. They can still catch a performance tomorrow.

Oh, no - recorded music, how disapointing! It never occured to me that Nina's company would use recorded music for Giselle. That's a real shame.

I thnk the NY critics may have all been in New Haven tonight - I didn't see any of them at the Met for Vishneva's Manon. Of course, some of them could have been across the Plaza but I'll bet a few of them made the trip to CT.

Thanks for the review

Susan

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

A) Can anyone give details of Ananiashvili's royal ancestry?

B) Georgian folk dance happens way on top of the foot, both men and women. Some think it's got to do with pointing the foot as part of the use of stirrups in horsemanship. The women bourree.

The male dancing is truly spectacular -- the Lezghinka is done on the knuckles of the toes, in soft-kid boots -- we're talking pointe but with no box, so the guys are knuckled over - -and then they throw themselves down onto their knees and bounce back up. There's a very fine Georgian folk company here in San Francisco, and the boys are stellar.

But it's ALSO worth noting that Marius Petipa was very proud of the way he danced the Lezghinka, and he was still doing it at 60.

C) Tolstoy's wonderful early book "The Cossaks" is really fun reading, and it's mostly about his participation as a soldier in Russia's attempts to extend influence over the Caucasus -- the situation in Chechnya (and Georgia) hasn't really changed at the deepest level since he wrote it -- and tolstoy having the amazing sympathies that he had, you can get a very good idea of how incredibly entrenched and fierce and independent-minded these mountain folk are, fabulous sneaks -- and even get some idea about mountain-folk everywhere -- roughly speaking, they're ALL of them (Basques, Welsh, Scots Chechnyans, Georgians, etc.) the descendants of proud peoples who've been over-run and forced to take refuge in the mountains, where they can maintain their independence and where they can cultivate their pride in the old ways and take pot-shots whenever they can at the conquerors....

#19 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

I just saw Giselle in New Haven, Connecticut Nina was great. The company was clean and limited only by the size of the stage. The males in the Pas de Six were spectacular. Nina and the company got well deserved cheers from her fans in New Haven. I think a local male actor was used as a super, I could see his lips counting the steps, and his costume did not fit at all.
The Corps was strong, very strong. well trained and excellent technique.

+1
only want to add the PRAISE to Sergey Filin. it was the duet of him and Nina that made me travel from NYC to see them. Totally enjoyed each and both of their dancing. He's a great dancer and caring partner ( ;-)) and I'd seen him before many times, he was as great as always).... I was almost tempted to travel again on Saturday ;-))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):