This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

How much are they worth??

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Autumn7

Autumn7

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 05:24 PM

lara - In answer to your question about Corella's shoes, we went to NYC to see the Don Q's this year. They had some of the principal dancers shoes on display for sale. The gentleman tending the boutique booth said that they like to offer the shoes of the dancers that are scheduled to dance the current performance. Knowing that Corella was dancing Basil in the matinee the next day I asked the gentleman if he would have a pair of his shoes available. He looked a bit wistful and said, 'He never gives us any.'

#17 Judi

Judi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

Does anyone know how to go about finding the value of a pair of ballerinas' slippers?  We have a signed pair of Nina Ananiashvili from one of her performances with the Bolshoi ballet ---- I understand that she is now retired and wondered what they might be worth --- any info would be appreciated!

#18 Kamala

Kamala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

Does anyone know how to go about finding the value of a pair of ballerinas' slippers?  We have a signed pair of Nina Ananiashvili from one of her performances with the Bolshoi ballet ---- I understand that she is now retired and wondered what they might be worth --- any info would be appreciated!

Judi,

They are worth what someone is willing to pay. A lot of different factors would go into pricing-were they from a notiable performance (first performance in a role or very last performance ever), how much of a demand there is for the item, and how hard are they to come by. Like art, I would think, a deceased dancer's shoes would be worth more because they would be limited over a living dancer who might be retired.

K

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

lara - In answer to your question about Corella's shoes, we went to NYC to see the Don Q's this year. They had some of the principal dancers shoes on display for sale. The gentleman tending the boutique booth said that they like to offer the shoes of the dancers that are scheduled to dance the current performance. Knowing that Corella was dancing Basil in the matinee the next day I asked the gentleman if he would have a pair of his shoes available. He looked a bit wistful and said, 'He never gives us any.'

Some of the people at that sales table at the Met during ABT's season have told me that the European dancers think the practice of selling autographed shoes is "creepy" (or some such). But I did notice they were selling shoes by Vishneva and Osipova in recent years at $500 -- I don't know if anybody paid that, but that's what they were asking.

Men don't go through as many shoes as women, of course, so if you see some from a favored dancer, I'd suggest grabbing them! I have autographed shoes from Hallberg, Cornejo, and Gomes. Gomes even wrote the dates of his performance as Basilio, along with his autograph. Proceeds go to the dancer's emergency fund, so I think many dancers recognize the value of their donations.

#20 Kamala

Kamala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:49 AM

Some of the people at that sales table at the Met during ABT's season have told me that the European dancers think the practice of selling autographed shoes is "creepy" (or some such). But I did notice they were selling shoes by Vishneva and Osipova in recent years at $500 -- I don't know if anybody paid that, but that's what they were asking.

Men don't go through as many shoes as women, of course, so if you see some from a favored dancer, I'd suggest grabbing them! I have autographed shoes from Hallberg, Cornejo, and Gomes. Gomes even wrote the dates of his performance as Basilio, along with his autograph. Proceeds go to the dancer's emergency fund, so I think many dancers recognize the value of their donations.

The creepy factor is understandable-they are probably thinking why would anyone want my sweaty smelly shoes.
 Also if the company is more stringent with their shoe inventory-they might be wearing them until they are truly dead dead.

Since it is not a practice in Europe, then the shoes would be worth more because they would be rare.

Men, because they don't go through so many, might also consider them their lucky shoes if they had really good performances in them. If it is going to a good cause, most would be willing to donate because when you think about it-they would get tossed otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):