20 replies to this topic

#16 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

Thanks a million for the casting!
Without asking "Who's better?", can experienced viewers from The City state particular features of individual dancers that we should look for?

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

Among the women, I'd say Tina LeBlanc, Lorena Feijoo, and Muriel Maffre are the three Principal women not to miss. They are very different dancers, but each as authoritative as the other. A lot of people love Yuan Yuan Tan and Vanessa Zahorian, but they're not my favorites, the latter more for being miscast in my opinion, and while I liked Katita Waldo a lot in the mid-late 90's, I've been disappointed when I've seen her recently; she seems to have lost her punch. Among the junior women, I haven't seen Nutnaree Pipi-Suksun, who joined this year, but she caused a lot of buzz. Frances Chung, Rachel Viselli, and Sarah van Patten are very talented soloists. The men are so terrific, it's hard to know where to begin.

It depends on your strategy: if you go to the opening gala-format program, you'll see everyone. If you attend the mixed bill on Saturday night, July 29, you'll see Yuri Possokhov's last performance with the Company. If you're planning to see Sylvia, that's a tougher one: when it first premiered, I saw Megan Low, who retired in the role this past spring, and Elizabeth Miner. Miner was fabulous, but the reviews from this year indicate that this year's performances weren't to the same standard. I didn't see Tan or Zahorian, both of whom are cast for NYC. If I had to choose one Sylvia, it would be Friday, July 28, because I loved Guennadi Nedviguine's sweet, sweet Aminta, and Maffre will appear in the short, but potent, role of Diana.

#18 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Among the women, I'd say Tina LeBlanc, Lorena Feijoo, and Muriel Maffre are the three Principal women not to miss. They are very different dancers, but each as authoritative as the other.

I had no idea that's where Tina LeBlanc ended up. I used to love her with the Joffrey back in the early 90s when I was at the school and got to see them all the time. I'll make sure I see her. Thanks so much!

#19 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:45 AM

The opening night program in New York looks similar to the Gala at the top of the year here in San Francisco. It had some very thrilling dancing. My favorites were Tina LeBlanc and Joan Boada in Harlequinade, perhaps only because the clarity of Balanchine's choregraphy made it easy for me--a complete nondance person--to appreciate the dancers' virtues: LeBlanc's fine articulation and Boada's musciality. I liked Gonzalo Garcia a lot in Sylvia--he made every little business, every throwaway move, interesting--but Yuan Yuan Tan seemed coolish and dull. Elizabeth Miner would be a better Sylvia I think (I didn't see that cast). Muriel Maffre was the perfect Diana.

#20 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

By the way, the "facilities fee" rears its ugly head for these tickets. I called to purchase some tickets today and was told there was a $7 fee for each ticket. In person, there's a $1.50 fee. :)

#21 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,198 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

You canít do better than Miner, Garcia, and Maffre. Too bad youíre seeing them in Morris instead of Ashton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):