This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Reviews: Closing Week, Winter SeasonFeb. 21-26, 2006

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

I was in 3rd row, and didn't notice the tattoo. I thought Wendy's adagio in Symphony in C was beautiful; I would have loved to compare Sylve in same. Nilas Martins seemed to be off, and J Ringer seemed to be "on". I thought the choreography in "Octet" was rather uninspired, but De Luz and Stafford seemed to be having a wonderful time.
Comments from someone who attends sporadically, and if lived closer would attend much more.

#17 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

I, too have been so glad to see Craig Hall cast more this season. I was very disappointed knowing that I would miss his debut in After the Rain. I saw it again at the Saturday matinee with Marcovici and am convinced that it's the best ballet I've seen since Balanchine (my favorite anyway!). Too bad it's not in the rep next season. Every single person in the cast was just perfect in this - each of the 6 dancers was amazing in their own right, but during the first section you never had the sensation of not knowing where to look first - it was all perfectly harmonious. The musicians were also exceptional. I think this is one of those all too rare occasions when a great choreographer was inspired by great artists and great music. It was perfection.

Hall was mesmerizing in The Cage on Saturday afternoon - he is so striking yet so understated, never upstaging the flow of the drama. I was sitting 1st row center in the 2nd ring and did not notice a taboo on his chest, and let me assure you I spent plenty of time staring at his chest! Somogyi was very good as the Novice, but nobody can compete with Wendy in that role. I've also been happy to see Rebecca Krohn getting some featured roles this season - she was great as the Queen, with wonderful presence. Perhaps another "tall girl" in the making? Around the middle of The Cage it occurred to me that I was also going to see The Lesson that evening - an unfortunate coincidence in programming that I will make sure never to repeat!

My season ended with Saturday afternoon's Bizet, a brilliant image to keep with me till next season. I loved every minute of it. Sylve's adagio is very different from Whalen's. As other posters have mentioned there is a real sculptural quality to her movements, and a magisterial air. It was a great close to a great season.

#18 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

The tattoo is on his right nipple area and looks like a sunburst
or multi-pointed star. I noticed it from the 4th Ring Friday night,
but couldn't make it out until Sat from the 1st row orchestra.
I was lucky enough to see both Hall and Marcovici in both Cage and
After the Rain. I'll never forget Soto in After the Rain, but they both are
excellent successors as was Wendy's responsiveness with her new
partners.

#19 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

I noticed Craig Hall's tattoo a long time ago. Doesn't bother me at all, and besides it is usually covered. Sebastien's tear-drop is nice, though usually concealed by make-up.

#20 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

I noticed Craig Hall's tattoo a long time ago. Doesn't bother me at all, and besides it is usually covered. Sebastien's tear-drop is nice, though usually concealed by make-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps someone can refresh my memory on what seems to me to be the pertinent Kirstein quote here, Balanchine's response to a mother who wished preferment for her child -- 'dance is a moral question.' To my old-fashioned way of thinking, any lazy soul can get a tattoo and "express" himself. I don't pay to see bumperstickers. I do pay to see dance expression, the fruit of dedication and perserverance.

#21 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:15 AM

These guys are about the farthest thing from "lazy souls" one could imagine.

#22 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:10 AM

These guys are about the farthest thing from "lazy souls" one could imagine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In a roundabout way, that was my point. I admire their artistry, and I'd rather not be distracted from it.

#23 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:00 PM

The "notorious" tattoo may be seen in NYCB's photo set for their Workout #2 dvd:
http://www.nycballet...ms/behind2.html

Of more artistic interest is the set of photos they give of the dvd's dancers dancing, which not only includes fine photographs of Mr. Hall, but also includes photos of since-departed favorites Ansanelli, Ash, Korbes and McBrearty:
http://www.nycballet...s/gallery2.html

Click on photographs to enlarge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):