This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Complexions Dance Company

While replying on another thread, I discovered that Complexions will appear at the New Victory Theater March 17-26. Great news (I hope :) ) for fans of Danny Tidwell! And the tickets -- as always at the New Victory -- are extremely affordable.

April takes them to Greece, then back to New York for the Youth Grand Prix Gala and the Dance Sampler at Symphony Space.

More here.

Well, Tidwell hasn't lost his turnout, beautifully pointed feet, balon or anything else. The company may have its roots in Ailey but tends to be more classical (turnout, pointed feet, etc; women do pointe work) while no less athletic.

Rhoden has a wide vocabulary & crafts beautifully on the merits of each individual dancer.

That said, IMO, Danny belongs back in a classical ballet company & we can only hope he tires of displaying his athleticism & undeniable sex appeal & returns to the fold.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who thought Wynton Marsalis should have stuck with the classics. Where would Jazz at Lincoln Center be if he had?

Sarita Allen is with the company & is still movin' it! Anyone know how old she is? Ailey choreographed Night Creatures on her in 1974.

Just returned from the New Vic myself & couldn’t agree more, it was such a treat to see Danny again!. Artifice wasn’t the type of piece I really like but it was interesting. I really enjoyed the last piece they did to Earth, Wind & Fire, and of course Desmond Richardson’s solo was great. My biggest problem this evening was tearing my eyes away from Tidwell & Richardson. It wasn’t fair to the other dancers, but those 2 are both absolutely extraordinary artists.

I usually think of March in NY as a dance drought between NYCB & ABT seasons, but not this year. There may not be much classical ballet around, but there’s been just too much dance for me to even get to here lately. From the Perm Ballet in NJ to Paul Taylor at City Center, Millipied’s concert group,Mark Morris at BAM, American Repertory Ballet at Symphony Space and Puuccini Passion I can barely keep up. I’m glad I made time to see Complexions tonight, it was well worth it.

Rats! I just tried to order tickets for ANY of the shows for DD & friends, but they are SOLD OUT, with the exception of 1 ticket available for the Saturday 2 pm show! :(

All may not be lost if you don't mind taking a chance. I showed up at the theatre last night at 6:30 expecting to just buy a ticket for a 7 pm show. They were completely sold out with the exception of 2 obstructed view seats. However they suggested that I put my name on the waiting list for cancellations, which I did. It's kind of a pain because they don't release the seats until ten minutes before show time, but there was only 1 person on the list ahead of me and I got a great orchestra seat (they must hold some house seats till right before the curtain).

Good luck!