This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake

Could someone tell me something about English National Ballet Swan Lake's production? Which is the version they use?

It is Derek Deane's 1997 "arena" production. As described by David Dougill in The Sunday Times:

"Deane’s great achievement was to deploy massed forces — the company enlarged to a strength of 120 — to fill the arena, and cleverly adapt the choreography to face all round, without losing the poetic heart of the work. Amid the swirling, watery light on a lake of dry ice, his formations for a vast flock of 60 swans are especially affective and lovely. The price to pay here is that the noise of so many pointe shoes, when they are running, suggests the Household Cavalry cantering by, but we have grown to live with that."

This production will next be seen in Madrid (April) and Edinburgh (May).

Photos and an Act-by-Act description can be seen at:

http://www.ballet.org.uk/ref_swanlake_story.htm

It is Derek Deane's 1997 "arena" production.  As described by David Dougill in The Sunday Times:

"Deane’s great achievement was to deploy massed forces — the company enlarged to a strength of 120 — to fill the arena, and cleverly adapt the choreography to face all round, without losing the poetic heart of the work. Amid the swirling, watery light on a lake of dry ice, his formations for a vast flock of 60 swans are especially affective and lovely. The price to pay here is that the noise of so many pointe shoes, when they are running, suggests the Household Cavalry cantering by, but we have grown to live with that."

This production will next be seen in Madrid (April) and Edinburgh (May).

Photos and an Act-by-Act description can be seen at:

http://www.ballet.org.uk/ref_swanlake_story.htm

Thanks drb. I will attend Madrid perfomance. But I am not sure about the cantering...

Just to confuse the picture further, Deane also did a further production of Swan Lake for ENB in the UK which toured more conventional theatrical spaces - the proscenium arch version as oppoosed to the arena version. This version includes Ashton's pas de quatre and Neapolitan dances. I expect the version you will get depends on the venue.

Just to confuse the picture further, Deane also did a further production of Swan Lake for ENB in the UK which toured more conventional theatrical spaces - the proscenium arch version as oppoosed to the arena version.  This version includes Ashton's pas de quatre and Neapolitan dances.  I expect the version you will get depends on the venue.

It would be great to have the Ashton bits, but just to avoid confusion ENB's site says

"Swan Lake

Derek Deane's arena version tours to Madrid and Edinburgh

MADRID Teatro Real. On sale from 5 April www.teatro-real.com 19 – 25 April"

For the ones of you who are in Europe and who would like to see this production in Versailles' castle glorious surroundings next week, I just would like to let know you that you can find half prices tickets on tickenet (the french ticketmaster). Best tickets ("carré or") at bargain prices costs 46 euros each. I can post a link if that's allowed.

I saw this production of the Swan Lake yesterday (I will try to write something later) and if you are able to, go to see it ! It's less spectacular than the performances given at the Royal Albert Hall, but it's just magical. And don't forget to bring a warm coat, because the performances are ending at 11.30 PM and the weather is very cold at that time!