This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rebecca Wright

I am sorry to have to report this and am sure you will want to change post, but I felt that many of your members might want to be notified of Rebecca Wright's death. It is very sad news indeed.

Here is a link to the thread on Ballet Talk for Dancers: Rebecca Wright. As of right now the Washington Post has two stories that are linked within... The New York Times, of course, has been notified of this great loss.

Very sad news. Young ballet dancers all across America have lost a great advocate. Ms. Wright was very supportive and helpful in guiding my daughter into a professional career in ballet as I am sure she did for many others. She will be missed. My family and our studio would like to send flowers or a donation to the American Cancer Society or whatever charity Ms. Wrights family designates. Can anyone help with this information. Perhaps Ms. Leigh can get all of us some info on this.

There are a number of people on Ballet Talk who are affected by Rebecca Wright's death, from the people who saw her dance, to the parents of her students, and to her students themselves. But we'd also like to extend our condolences to her colleagues, including Victoria Leigh of Ballet Talk for Dancers. It is a very sad time for The Washington Ballet.

My family and our studio would like to send flowers or a donation to the American Cancer Society or whatever charity Ms. Wrights family designates.  Can anyone help with this information.  Perhaps Ms. Leigh can get all of us some info on this.

The following was part of the death notice in today's Washington Post:

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Rebecca D. Wright Children's Trust and mailed to Lisa Dunner, Trustee, Dunner Law, Waterfront Center, Suite 660, 1010 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Washington DC 20007. In addition, the Rebecca Wright Scholarship Fund has been established at the Washington School of Ballet. Gifts may be made in her honor to that Fund by mail to The Washington School of Ballet, Rebecca Wright Scholarship Fund, 3315 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20016.

Although I knew her only slightly, I had great respect for her. What a terrible loss.

Edited by rplaut

She was one of my favorite soloists at ABT. (I never really got to see her dance principal roles though I know she did.). At a time when the quality of solo dancing in the company was somewhat unpredictable, she always delivered strong, polished performances with real personality. Very sad news...