This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Proteges program at Kennedy Center

The proteges program was about young dancers from all over. Whether they are 16 or 18 or even 19 doesn’t really change it for me. I found it interesting to compare the styles of, for example, the delightful Danish dancers with the French dancers. After all, Bournonville was a French trained dancer. But for me, the biggest pleasant surprise was the Balanchine danced by the students from Dance Theatre of Harlem. Here was a group of students of all colors, of different body types, dancing beautifully, enthusiastically, and doing justice to the choreographer. I look forward to seeing more of them.

i don't claim to 'know' this history myself. my list comes from scribbled notations made when ABT did Birthday O and when i asked the likes of David Vaughan and Dale Harris and Clive Barnes for help sorting out things next to ABT's dancers. (i could well have misunderstood something said at that time - 1990.) a glazunovian might be able to sort out the music to at least settle the order as given by vaughan. 'marionettes' is clearly the first, and i believe nerina's 'hail' is obvious from both glazunov and the fille-like quality to the solo itself. if grey's was the languid/'summer' variation then kavanagh's list would seem correct.