This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Farrell Ballet at Jacob's Pillow

Tzigane was done with a slightly smaller cast, (two side couples) on Milennium stage last fall at KenCen. It was superb---Magnicaballi was the best I have ever seen her and the levels of dancing and energy were 150% of what I expected. Farrell knows how to coach, no doubt about it.....a superb performance.

Berkshires mugginess is not on a par with the Washington summer, as Jacob's Pillow is not situated in a swamp like Washington. Sounds like a great getaway to me.....interesting dance offerings! AND---not too far from Saratoga, so a trip to SPAC to see NYCB is a definite possiblity for a great dance-oriented vacation!!!!!

That's the spirit, folks, keep it up! Those who've been there, what's there? Where did you stay? How did you get there? How did you get around? Where did you eat?

Sure, there are lots of links from the Jacob's Pillow page, but "user reviews" are most welcome!

For example, the weather in Saratoga when I was there about the same time of year in the 60's was quite muggy by day and verged on the chilly by midnight, when a breeze always came up. But that was then, a long time ago.

Uh, for the geographically uninformed, where is Jacob's Pillow?

Lee (or Lennox?) Massachusetts, in the Berkshires in western part of the state. Tanglewood is right nearby.

Unless you have a local friend who's willing to chauffeur you around, you need a car. The Berkshires have plenty of attractions where you can spend pleasant daytime hours. I enjoyed the Shaker village tour very much.

Lee is near Lenox. Lenox has Tanglewood, and is a very "cute" (upscale, expensive, touristy but pretty) little town. I've never actually seen a town of Lee. They are also close to Stockbridge, site of the "Alice's Restaurant..." whatever it was....."Massacree." Lee, Lenox and stockbridge form a sort of triangle, with the long side going North/south with Lenox about 10 gorgeous miles N. of stockbridge, and Lee a bit to the east, a bit closer to Stockbridge.

I also associate "Becket" with Jacob's Pillow, but looking at the map, that's a bit out of the way.

Lenox also has "The Mount" (Edith Wharton's home) and a number of other wonderful old homes, the Norman Rockwell museum. Route 7 has little dots all along, indicating a very, very scenic route.