This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kudelka's Cinderella

With all the negative talk of Kudelka's Swan Lake that is currently going on, I am getting cold feet about the upcoming production at ABT of his Cinderella this Spring. I am planning to take my six-year old granddaughter to see her first 'real' ballet and I am wondering just how traditional this version is. Supposedly, it's a ballet for children, but having been subjected to a couple of weird Coppelias--I am having doubts.

My alternative performance is to take her to NYCB for a matinee performance of Symphony in C and Vienna Waltzes (ballet just doesn't get better than that).

Input greatly appreciated.

Haven't seen the Cinderella, atm, so can't help there. But I share your trepidations.

My alternative performance is to take her to NYCB for a matinee performance of Symphony in C and Vienna Waltzes (ballet just doesn't get better than that).

No, ballet doesn't get much better. My head just filled with images of a gazillion women in white and men in black!

(I first responded thinking the choice was between SL and NYCB, not Cinderella, having not read carefully :wink:.)

I think the most disturbing part of Cinderella is the music, which is very dark. Kudelka's take sounds quite grown up -- Cinderella and the Prince living quietly ever after, rather than playing prince and princess. If she's invested in the traditional version of the fairy tale, it could be upsetting.

I think Symphony in C would be most appreciated if your granddaughter likes patterns and symmetry. But it also has the advantage of contrast -- four different lead couples. Vienna Waltzes doesn't have a narrative, per se, but it is clearly episodic, with lots of lilting music. Plus, while these two are among Balanchine's longest ballets, a triple bill has the advantage of either ending if they don't excite, and leaving one wishing for more if they do. From her reaction, you might get a good idea what she'd like to see next. I have to vote with carbro for NYCB.

Kudelka's Cinderella is not traditional, but it is very child-friendly. The NYCB program is an excellent choice obviously, but Cinderella has the advantage of a very familiar narrative (some things are changed, but the gist of the story remains the same). Kudelka's production is vibrant, witty and magical. The sets and costumes are stunning (a jewel encrusted giant pumpkin, an all black and white ball, art deco designs) and the choreography is actually quite engaging and original at times (as opposed to his SL!).

Either program seems like a good choice!

Actually, I would vote for the Cinderella. Boston recently did Kudelka's production, and the matinees were filled with children, who actually enjoyed the ballet. While agree, it is a bit different than the traditional fairy tale, it is funny and has beautiful sets and costumes. Lots to keep a child interested. Cinderella arrives to the ball in a pumpkin that drops from the ceiling, and it is amazing. Stepsisters are a real hoot. Choreography was very difficult, but entertaining. I really enjoyed it.