This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hard to say. Being the front runner hasn’t necessarily hurt past favorites. There were people muttering that it was overrated and they were sick of hearing about it, but I’m not sure that alone would keep it from winning. (I actually had the reverse reaction – I went to see “Brokeback” all prepared to say how overrated it was, and came out thinking, That was really good.)

I very much liked Reese Witherspoon’s acceptance speech, but then I very much like Reese. Nice dress, too. Ryan Phillippe had a fixed tight smile, as if he were fearful lest Witherspoon do a Hilary Swank and forget to thank him. (Eventually, she did mention “my husband.”)

However, the Bad Taste high – or low – point of the evening for me was the “In the Deep” production number, which was some kind of interpretive dance involving car crashes. It looked like “Night of the Living Dead.”

Lol. Andrew Sullivan was bemused by the "Robert Wilson version of a cop feeling a woman up." This is what makes the Oscars worth watching! Do we know who was responsible for it?

Oh, and that song about the pimp. Was it written by a ten-year-old?

Lordy, there's nothing like Hollywood!

Anthony_ NYC writes:

This is what makes the Oscars worth watching!

Uh-huh. The year they achieve a broadcast in perfect taste, and without gratuitous displays of self congratulation and naked self regard, is the year I stop watching. Even Clooney succumbed -- did I misunderstand him, or did he actually credit Hattie McDaniel's Oscar as a fearless blow against racism???

Update: Gee, Roger Ebert is getting really upset. You'd think his picture lost. :clapping:

One of the mysteries of the 2006 Oscar season is the virulence with which lovers of "Brokeback Mountain" savaged "Crash." When the film about racism actually won the Oscar for best picture Sunday, there was no grace in their response. As someone who felt "Brokeback" was a great film but "Crash" a greater one, I would have been pleased if either had won.

I have to say, that although I respect Ebert generally, he's totally lost me with his "Crush" on "Crash." He's acting like it was the greatest, deepest film in decades, which it is certainly not. If he wants a film that really talked about race relations but in a human, realistic way, he can rent "Do the Right Thing." If he likes interweaving storylines, he can rent "Magnolia" and "Traffic." If he wanted a film that "said" something but only with more elegance and subtlety he should have taken a second look at Capote, Goodnight and Goodluck, and Brokeback Mountain.

When my sis called me to tell me "Crash" won, I totally thought of you dirac :) When I fretted that it might actually win, you "assured" me that reason would win out in the end. Oh well.

Even Clooney succumbed -- did I misunderstand him, or did he actually credit Hattie McDaniel's Oscar as a fearless blow against racism???
That's not quite what I heard. What I heard was that in an era when professional sports were still segregated, when black entertainers often were denied the convenience of sleeping in the hotels where they performed, when the DAR was denying Marion Anderson the opportunity to sing at Constitution Hall -- back then, the Academy recognized the work of an artist, and yes, courageously bucked the tide. I don't think blew that act up to a"fearless blow," but there was couched in that language the message that artists (Hollywood, :) commercial, yeah, I know) are often bellweathers of coming change, sometimes agents of it, and "out of step" can be high praise.

canbelto wrote:

When my sis called me to tell me "Crash" won, I totally thought of you dirac When I fretted that it might actually win, you "assured" me that reason would win out in the end. Oh well.

You were right, I was wrong. Alas.

Thanks for the gloss on Clooney's comments, carbro.

Returning this post of Paul Parish's to this thread:

For Brokeback fans, include me in, it may matter a tiny bit to know that a bellwether is a sheep with a bell on it that leads the herd. A wether, like a steer or a gelding, is a castrato but nevertheless a valuable member of the herd.