Some interesting choices in the Marshall and the Tharp

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

I think the pairings are particularly exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing Nakamura and Poretta, Korbes and Maraval, Nadeau and Wevers, Barker and Cruz, among the many others.

And Le Yin is back, but no Bold :) (He and Nadeau make a particularly striking pair.)

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

And Le Yin is back, but no Bold :)  (He and Nadeau make a particularly striking pair.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll be very interested in seeing Le Yin -- he's been in and out often enough that I've seen very little of him.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

Thanks to pmeja for the following item in today's links:

PNB's modern "Valentine": no tutus but lots of Sinatra

Among the various casts of "Red Angels" will be guest artist Rasta Thomas, who danced a dazzling "Apollo" in Seattle with the Dance Theater of Harlem a few years ago. Miranda Weese, a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet, also will make a guest appearance with PNB for "Valentine." She will dance two performances of "Ancient Airs and Dances," a neoclassical ballet choreographed by Richard Tanner in 1992.

Both Thomas and Weese must be performing in the second week's casts, which haven't been posted as of today. (The Thomas listed in "Couple 6" of Sinatra Suite is Jodie Thomas.)

#5 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

Could anyone give some thought to why Peter would be bringing in guest artist to such a hugely talented company?(though I don't see them perform..)

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

Could anyone give some thought to why Peter would be bringing in guest artist to such a hugely talented company?(though I don't see them perform..)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, but I'm trying very hard to fight feeling grumpy that one of the limited performances that will be danced by Thomas or Weese is an opportunity lost for a dancer in the company.

#7 Joshua

Joshua

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

Both Thomas and Weese must be performing in the second week's casts, which haven't been posted as of today.

At Friday's $5 Friday Studio Rehearsal, Peter Boal had mentioned these two performances would be during week 2.

I don't know, but I'm trying very hard to fight feeling grumpy that one of the limited performances that will be danced by Thomas or Weese is an opportunity lost for a dancer in the company.

I would agree that with such a limited run of the reps that this could be seen as pushing out the chance for a member of PNB to showcase their talents. However, I don't think that this is a lost opportunity. Both Thomas and Weese are incredible dancers that members of PNB's company wouldn't usually get to perform with. (I think Taurean Green danced with Thomas during his DTH days.) I also think it is a credit to PNB that they are able to invite guest artists of such callibre. So, I personally am looking forward to catching at least one if not both of the performances.

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an interesting development. Stowell and Russell had to grapple with the "guest or don't guest" situation very early in their tenure -- the board of directors pretty much insisted that they hire guest artists for the opening of their original Swan Lake (a couple years after they joined the company) when they felt that the company members were more than capable of the challenge. And they often told the story of how the guest artist took an obvious fall (right on the fanny) only to get up and perform with aplomb, as is often the case -- they felt that it was a lesson for their less-experienced board members. Although there was the occassional guest, for the most part they were determined to give company members as many chances to perform as possible.

Of course I'm very pleased at the chance to see Thomas and Weese without leaving my time zone, but like everyone I'm wondering if this is a one-off or the start of a trend.

#9 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

I have a feeling that ticket sales will determine whether it's a trend or not. I've only seen Thomas dance a few times but I think Seattle will enjoy getting a look at Miranda Weese.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,798 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

Curses! I looked up the schedule and I can't go see Weese.

I can understand not wanting company dancers to miss out on opportunities, but. If Weese got herself invited to San Francisco to dance Ballo Della Regina, for example, I sure wouldn't cry about it.

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

As of today, Miranda Weese is scheduled to dance in Couple 2 in Ancient Airs and Dances on:

Friday, 10 February, 7:30pm
Saturday, 11 February, 7:30pm.

Rasta Thomas is scheduled to dance in Couple 1 of Red Angels on:

Friday, 10 February, 7:30pm
Sunday, 12 February, 1pm.

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

I have a feeling that ticket sales will determine whether it's a trend or not.  I've only seen Thomas dance a few times but I think Seattle will enjoy getting a look at Miranda Weese.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since the company only announced the casting for the second week (the week with the guest artists) today, I don't know that they're really thinking of the effect on ticket sales.

#13 Nyala

Nyala

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

Why get so worked up about it in the first place?

Peter Boal is hardly using some out of shape or aging, has-been "names" to beef up the box office. Frankly, I think the Seattle audience will be thrilled to see these two accomplished artists, both of whom are very much in their prime and have so much to offer (especially for pieces that really could use the services of a star performer).

Moreover, it seems hypocritical (not to mention parochial, but there I did) to regard the guest appearances of PNB dancers with NYCB or other companies as conferring honor to PNB and then see something invidious in bringing in distinguished, outside dancers occasionally to Seattle as guests.

#14 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:21 AM

Suppose that the guests are coming to check out the company and Seattle. And that the company and audience are similarly checking out the guests? Isn't that step 1 in a potentially interesting process?
America clearly has two major companies, but there is no reason not to change this number to three. What other American company is better than PNB in terms of audience, talent pool in place, and quality of leadership to effect such an upgrade? What other company, including the 'majors', has an AD who even begins to compare with Peter Boal in terms of prestige and ability to attract talent? It would not be an overnight process, and it would be presumptuous to begin with a fanfare of trumpets. It would be a shame to abort such a possibility with parochialism.
What is wrong with trying to get better?

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Why get so worked up about it in the first place? 

Peter Boal is hardly using some out of shape or aging, has-been "names" to beef up the box office.  Frankly, I think the Seattle audience will be thrilled to see these two accomplished artists, both of whom are very much in their prime and have so much to offer (especially for pieces that really could use the services of a star performer).

Moreover, it seems hypocritical (not to mention parochial, but there I did) to regard the guest appearances of PNB dancers with NYCB or other companies as conferring honor to PNB and then see something invidious in bringing in distinguished, outside dancers occasionally to Seattle as guests.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My comment was that there are a limited number of performances given by PNB, and that it was an opportunity lost to PNB dancers. If PNB had over 100 performances a season (not including Nutcracker), like NYCB, I wouldn't consider this an issue, because the many dancers in the company who can give a "star" performance would have been given their own opportunities.

I think parochialism is insisting that what comes from the "big city" must be better than what one has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):