This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Reviews Winter '06, Week 3

Charming article.

Remember Allegra Kent in 2nd Mvt? Or Mimi Paul? Or Gelsey Kirkland? Didn't miss the head to their knee one bit then... But now? It's become part of the choreography. I think Sylve will one day lower her head all the way, and it will be breathtaking because of everything she is and does with 2nd Mvt. This famous penchee for Sylve has already been progressing towards that direction - the second performance, last Saturday's, was far more extreme than her first this season.

I attended the January 22nd performance. I don’t have much time, so I’ll make this very quick. I really do not like “Morgen”. It’s a pretty looking ballet, and it was well danced, but to me it just went on and on and on. I find Peter Martins’ choreography in this ballet (and many of his other ballets as well) to be very repetitious.

New York Export: Opus Jazz” I loved. It was my first time to see it, and I really want to see it many more times. It’s not really ballet – but what great choreography and music! And the young cast was so enthusiastic – it was a great closing ballet.

But the highlight of the afternoon for me was “Ballo della Regina”. What a glorious Balanchine creation it is. The female corps was wonderful and the demi-soloists (Edge, Riggins, Keenan, and Scheller) were just perfect. When I bought my ticket for this performance, I was really hoping to see Ashley Bouder in the killer ballerina role. But I thought Megan Fairchild really held her own in “Ballo”. (I’d still like to see Bouder dance it, however.) The real standout for me was Joaquin De Luz. I’ve been a fan of Joaquin DeLuz since his ABT days. I think he’s really refined his technique at New York City Ballet, especially since he was made a principal last year. The lady sitting next to me said DeLuz reminded her of Edward Vilella. Unfortunately, I never got to see Vilella dance, so I don’t know whether she was right or wrong.