This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Celebrating Henrik Ibsen

Norway observes the centennial of Henrik Ibsen's death.

A worldwide celebration of Norway's best known playwright, Henrik Ibsen, opens Saturday with a gala celebration in Oslo marking the centennial of his death. Ibsen, who died in Oslo on May. 23, 1906 at age 78, remains one of the biggest names of world literature, and is sometimes described as the father of modern drama because of the realism and psychological tension of his plays.

His homeland declared 2006 as "The Year of Ibsen," with more that 4,000 events worldwide starting with Saturday's official opening before 900 invited guests at the Oslo City Hall. The opening has drawn such stars as Norwegian Liv Ullmann, German Angela Winkler, France's Isabelle Huppert and Glenda Jackson and Claire Bloom of Britain, all being honored with the Ibsen Centennial Award for their performances in his works.

This imporant cultural anniversary should be commemorated by more than a single post. So here's a Link to Ballets of Peer Gynt.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...76&hl=peer+gynt

Any other Ibsen ballets? Both Hedda Gabler and Doll's House could be made into superb dramatic ballets. With a small cast and minimal set requirements, a pwerful story that lends itself to feminist interpretations, and a major dramatic roles for female ballerina: I'm surprised ADs all over America have not tried one or the other. Or have they?

Can't say that I'm eager to claim Hedda for the feminists, bart, but you're right, potentially they might be interesting dramatic ballets. I haven't heard of any attempts, but perhaps someone else has.

The Wild Duck is one of my favorite plays -- would love to see it revived.