This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2006 Front Row Center

Front Row Center is back.

There are a lot more photos than usual!

I think the photo of the end of Fearful Symmetries perfectly illustrates why I love Somogyi and why I have reservations about A. Stafford. There's nothing "wrong" with her pose. But, Somogyi expresses such passion even in a still photo, while A. Stafford still seems too academic for my tastes. A. Stafford seems much happier on the stage since her full return, so I'm hoping she'll learn to "open up" more and more now.

-amanda

As I mentioned in my posting about the season's opening night, in FEARFUL SYMMETRIES there was a segment where Somogyi & Ramasar danced together. I felt a really special energy from these two dancers and would love to see them together in other ballets. They expressed a sort of tension and mystery, even in such an abstract work.

Amanda's original link will take you to the new photos -- all Swan Lake: Weese with and without Askegard; Ringer with Marcovici; Bouder with and without Millepied; Mearns with and without Nilas Martins. One white, one black of each, except Weese, who has two Odette photos.

This week: Two photos of the new Wheeldon, Klavier; two of Episodes, one each of Mother Goose and Divert. 15 (Hyltin and Fowler).

... and apparently added after I posted, two Firebirds -- one of Sylve and Askegard, and one of Sylve alone in a very dramatic arabesque.

Edited by carbro

Kudos to Paul Kolnik. We owe our thanks to him and to NYCB for this weekly gift.

From the look on Mr. Askegard's face, it is probably a good thing Firebird doesn't come back at the end: he'd probably have set a record for the fastest Royal divorce in history! Still, whether it is La Sylve or Ms. Bouder, I wish she did come back...

p.s. I wonder how long till they toss in a weekly video clip...

I've been hearing that at recent Met performances of RIGOLETTO with opera's hot couple, Netrebko & Villazon, they've been handing out DVD samplers (to the first 400 people who enter the theatre ) showing the two singers in clips from there soon-to-be-released TRAVIATA from Salzburg.

It would be fun to see some video component of the dancers at the NYCB website ("30 seconds of Bouder's Firebird...with the big leap!") but in the meantime I'm grateful for the still photos. Just wish they could be archived.

Mr. Kolnik wasn't as busy last week, just four new ones:

(Ooooo... two "La's")

Tala G: Sylve, Kistler, Weese

Friandises: Sloan, Peck, Dronova (a good one of "The Winger")

BSQ: Sylve, Askegard

Octet: Fairchild, deLuz (especially nice for Megan fans)

Isn't the Octet photo the same one they were using in the posters around Lincoln Center? Or almost exactly the same? I know the posting of photos for us is a courtesy, but it would be nice to have fresh shots!

-amanda

Mr. Kolnik wasn't as busy last week, just four new ones:

(Ooooo... two "La's")

Tala G: Sylve, Kistler, Weese

Friandises: Sloan, Peck, Dronova (a good one of "The Winger")

BSQ: Sylve, Askegard

Octet: Fairchild, deLuz (especially nice for Megan fans)

It's especially interesting that the Brahms-Sch photo of Sylve and Askegard has a date of Feb. 25 evening. I was there, and that movement was danced by Mearns and Ramasar. Askegard danced in the 1st movement with Nichols, replacing Neal.

Note: I've just gone back through my files, and find that this photo was posted in FRC last June, with the note that it had been taken 6/18/2005.