This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cojocaru/Kobborg Giselle to be filmed

Amy'sMom

Jane Simpson opened the thread, and I didn't think it was technically possible to post a blank post or edit one to leave it blank. I'm not sure how this happened, but the original post from Jane Simpson was:

"'Johan Kobborg writes on his website that the BBC are to film the first 2 of his and Cojocaru's Giselles this month - which will bring joy to a lot of people, I think!"

This is wonderful news!!!! I saw these two dance 'Giselle' here in O.C.P.A.C. Cojocaru's Giselle is extremely special IMO. Yanaowsky was also a grand presence as Myrta. I already want this DVD in my dance library! Kobborg and Cojocaru are perfect coupling for this ballet. Exciting that this will be documented on film for all to see......

I am hyperventilating. Seriously. I saw Cojocaru dance the Act 2 pdd with Kobborg and the memory has remained with me since, and I have secretly pined for this Giselle ever since. I have used all sorts of machinations to try to get a copy (somewhere) of a Cojocaru Giselle. And now the news that it might be released onto dvd ... I am in heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):yahoo::yahoo:

Wonderful. I'd love to see the Royal do a series of performance videos similar to Paris Opera's. They have the product -- and, certainly, a universally recognized brand name.

Wouldn't it be nice if American companies would follow suit and not sit by the phone waiting to be called by Great Performances.

canbelto, the dancers iillustrated in your post appear to be doing a legless version of a balance (accent on last "e") sequence. 

:)  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Is this from the villagers' waltz in Act I?  If so, which production?

No, they are doing a happy dance in a ballet I choreographed all by myself, called "La BBC e Bella"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

If you haven't discovered Kobborg's website yet, it's at

http://www.kobborg.co.uk/

and you'll find the bit about the Giselle film in the message board section.

There's no guarantee that the BBC will bring it out on DVD, but if they see this thread they will know there is a market out there!

(And my original message, which got lost somewhere in cyberspace, acknowledged that I picked this news up first on ballet.co)

Wonderful news!

As socalgal wrote, their Giselle in Orange County two Julys ago was one of those memorable nights in the theatre that one remembers for a very, very long time. And I particularly love the Royal Ballet's (Peter Wright's) production for the very clear dramatic focus, and the whole company's ability to convey that drama.

I was there on January 25th, and indeed the BBC were filming. I don't know when it will be shown though. Sometimes they save these things up for bank holidays. The performance was wonderful and I'd love to be able to see it again.

I also felt sorry for some of the people in the stalls. They arrived to find huge cameras stood right in front of them. I was sitting in the stalls circle and watched the people complaining to the Opera House managment for some time. You'd think they wouldn't have tried to sell tickets for these seats at the full price if they knew the view would be restricted. I think the night was a sell-out, too.