Cojocaru/Kobborg Giselle to be filmed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Amy'sMom

Amy'sMom

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

I clicked on this thread and there was no info--just the heading. :) Can anyone out there fill us in on the the details? Will it be released on DVD?

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

Jane Simpson opened the thread, and I didn't think it was technically possible to post a blank post or edit one to leave it blank. I'm not sure how this happened, but the original post from Jane Simpson was:

"'Johan Kobborg writes on his website that the BBC are to film the first 2 of his and Cojocaru's Giselles this month - which will bring joy to a lot of people, I think!"

#3 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

This is wonderful news!!!! I saw these two dance 'Giselle' here in O.C.P.A.C. Cojocaru's Giselle is extremely special IMO. Yanaowsky was also a grand presence as Myrta. I already want this DVD in my dance library! Kobborg and Cojocaru are perfect coupling for this ballet. Exciting that this will be documented on film for all to see......

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

I am hyperventilating. Seriously. I saw Cojocaru dance the Act 2 pdd with Kobborg and the memory has remained with me since, and I have secretly pined for this Giselle ever since. I have used all sorts of machinations to try to get a copy (somewhere) of a Cojocaru Giselle. And now the news that it might be released onto dvd ... I am in heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :yahoo: :yahoo:

#5 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

Wonderful. I'd love to see the Royal do a series of performance videos similar to Paris Opera's. They have the product -- and, certainly, a universally recognized brand name.

Wouldn't it be nice if American companies would follow suit and not sit by the phone waiting to be called by Great Performances.

#6 jllaney

jllaney

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

Indeed, so much good news!!!!!!! Now the bad part is waiting for this must have DVD. Thank you Jane for this post. I will be smiling all day tomorrow.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

canbelto, the dancers iillustrated in your post appear to be doing a legless version of a balance (accent on last "e") sequence.

:) :yahoo: :yahoo:

Is this from the villagers' waltz in Act I? If so, which production?

#8 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

canbelto, the dancers iillustrated in your post appear to be doing a legless version of a balance (accent on last "e") sequence. 

:)  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Is this from the villagers' waltz in Act I?  If so, which production?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, they are doing a happy dance in a ballet I choreographed all by myself, called "La BBC e Bella"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

#9 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:23 AM

If you haven't discovered Kobborg's website yet, it's at

http://www.kobborg.co.uk/

and you'll find the bit about the Giselle film in the message board section.

There's no guarantee that the BBC will bring it out on DVD, but if they see this thread they will know there is a market out there!

(And my original message, which got lost somewhere in cyberspace, acknowledged that I picked this news up first on ballet.co)

#10 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

Wonderful news!

As socalgal wrote, their Giselle in Orange County two Julys ago was one of those memorable nights in the theatre that one remembers for a very, very long time. And I particularly love the Royal Ballet's (Peter Wright's) production for the very clear dramatic focus, and the whole company's ability to convey that drama.

#11 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:45 AM

I was there on January 25th, and indeed the BBC were filming. I don't know when it will be shown though. Sometimes they save these things up for bank holidays. The performance was wonderful and I'd love to be able to see it again.

I also felt sorry for some of the people in the stalls. They arrived to find huge cameras stood right in front of them. I was sitting in the stalls circle and watched the people complaining to the Opera House managment for some time. You'd think they wouldn't have tried to sell tickets for these seats at the full price if they knew the view would be restricted. I think the night was a sell-out, too.

#12 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

I saw Cojocaru and Kobborg in Giselle in 2002. I would love to be able to see how their reading has changed in the interim. I do hope that somehow this finds its way to dvd. :clapping:

#13 Charming_Lise

Charming_Lise

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:16 AM

It's going to be broadcast in November on BBC along with a documentary on The Royal Ballet School.

I hope the management will decide to put this production out for sale. We can hope wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):